Giant Bully Pics

Snorkel

If anyone is interested, here are a few pics of a giant bully and also a couple pics of a common bully to compare it with.... IMG_2363500x300.jpgIMG_2333500x400.jpgIMG_2324500x300.jpg and a photo of the six spines on the first dorsal fin (apperantely this ID's it as a giant) IMG_2320500x300.jpg And here is the common bully (I think?) IMG_2307500x300.jpgIMG_2289500x300.jpg As You can see, they are quite different. Excuse the strange colour casts, I have not mastered white balance with the camera at all yet. If I can get a photo with the two fish together in the same frame, I will put it up so You can see the size difference.

Sorry, hit send waaaaaay too soon and couldn't hit stop in time!

Ok, firstly that fish has the strangest profile I have ever seen on a bully! So very blunt! Nothing like a common at all.

It also lacks the 'whiskers' under the eye that commons often have (others have it too sometimes, this is not a major identifying feature). Imagine three very fine black lines under the eye, radiating back from the mouth, just as if someone drew whiskers on it.

It is very much a male, from the bluntness of the head and the red/orange stripe in the dorsal.

From where your location, the blunt profile, the seven dorsal spines and the reddish dorsal stripe, I am saying Cran's.

It has very little facial patterning (the presumed-giant has more typical cheek patterning of a dark Cran's, but also seen on giants). Normally Cran's have kinda swirly dark patterns on the face, but this particular fish is very pale all over, some are just like that.

Uplands are also very blunt in the profile, but they 'always' have small orange dots on the cheeks and the northern extremity of their range is about Lake Taupo.

(wordy I know, but I figure explaining why I come to a conclusion will help you learn to distinguish them yourself, rather than just saying 'it's an X')

hehehe sure Mark. I don't think I have you in my list of email addresses to notify when it comes out. Drop me a PM with your address :)

Of course the Fishroom will hear all about it, but I figure people come and people go, and the list includes random others I have run into that want to hear also.

Still no word back from the guy reading over it.

OH! Snorkel, to keep up with the food demands of this huge bully without depleting the worm populations of the Earth, buy an ox heart, cut off all the fat, valves and misc, cut into schnitzel strips, lay on a baking tray and freeze. Allow it to dehydrate by not covering it (freezerburn). This does not affect the nutrition but makes it MUCH easier to cut up. Cut up with a knife, or my latest discovery: scissors!

hahaha that didn't take you long!

(aren't they grotty things to cut up?! I treat it like an anatomy lesson, but still, the red meat smell is not nice! At least it doesn't have to be done very often, those hearts are HUGE!)

Oh, the reason for cutting off the fat: (apparently) mammalian fat can not be processed by the fish - too cold for them to do anything with it! Stuffs up the liver eventually.

Yeeahboy - even giant bullies start off 7mm long ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Got to love Giants they allways look grumpy to me. Nice pics btw. Tend to feed ours on a mix of stuff usually washed chopped mussel , bloodworms etc but have taken fine diced up squid if ive had any leftover at the end of the day. sometimes ill chuck a few live mysids in with him if we have plenty on hand but not too many there fast little suckers when they want to be

I finally saw some giant bullies in the wild last saturday. Went spotlighting in a stream on Himitangi Beach. Saw a good dozen, but no huge ones unfortunately.

The strangest thing was seeing your typical beach stream: sand, seashells etc, and there is what looks to me like a totally freshwater fish sitting there! And another! And another!

It would be so strange to set up a tank for one with a sand substrate and shells etc, it would look totally marine.