Gravel or sand? And house moving.

HomerandMarge

Hi

I have been keeping a 54 litre tropical tank for about a year now and I am thinking about moving house. So a couple of questions, how on earth do you move the fish and the tank etc...

I also quite like the sound of kuhli loaches but do they need sand? I currently have gravel and it's not particularly fine.

My tank at the moment is home to some danios, some tetras, black phantoms, a pair of bristlenose and one other algae eater that I forget the name of... oops. How would kuhli loaches go with these tank mates, too many bottom feeders? Would I need to switch to sand? I also grow live plants.

Many thanks

J

As long as the gravel is rounded not sharp they will be fine.

What vindy said. But since you're moving house not just the tank, I'd put the last bit of water in a covered bucket etc, stops any splasing while you're racing around in the car.

Don't get any new fish for a couple of weeks after the tank is setup. There might be a wee (not big just weeee) shock to the filter, so adding more fish could make this worse.

Try to keep any filter material damp. Don't forget to unplug the heater 10 minutes before you drain the tank. Set it up as soon as possible, and dissasemble it as late as you can.

Local pet store will be able to provide you cheaply with fish bags. I sincerely recommend this over buckets etc for fish transport, due to personal experience.