300 L South American Tank.

Dixon1990

So, Ive almost made room in the lounge :lol: for the tank so it will be setup soon, Ive decided not to go with Discus anymore,which was my original Plan.

So its going to be a South American based Planted tank heavily planted with quite a bit of wood.

Tank: 120cm x 50cm x 50cm

Substrate:Daltons aquatic mix and Propergating sand if i can find it, will also have small bits of wood and twig and leaf litter in some areas.

Filtration:CF1200 canister and a 600lph internal

Lighting:4 4foot T8 tubes = 144W

Now i need some ideas for fish, I might be putting some Albino angels in there, but not if i can find something else nice

So the fish that will definately be in there are:

Cardinal Tetras, Maybe Neons, and some Pencils and/or hatchets

Ram pair , pair of Borelli

Corys a couple whiptails and Clown Plecs.

I would like a smallish earth eater if there are any small ones?

Any other reccomendations for peaceful south american fish?

Please DONT reccomend Discus!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Killifish (no holes in lids tho)

South American killis??? :-?

Keyholes, rams, or a few different apisto's would be the best occupants for a planted tank. Geophagus all like to dig, so don't usually get on too well in heavily planted tanks.

BTW you do know that lush planted tanks aren't really "South American" eh?

I bet someone is going to point out some corner of the Amazon system that does have dense plants just to prove me wrong....

Venezuela.

I'd say you 've got enough in there at this stage. And with the dwarfs and plecs and the territory they'll want do you want geo's down there as well?

larger Tetras ?

Then you can look at the more docile cichlids.

It would be tank boss though.

Oscar grow out tank :P

na plants (maybe) + lots of wood and stones to create a textured landscape with lots of small holes and caves.

Add various dwarf cichlids, blue rams, apistogramma agasezii etc etc

In the top levels some gorgeous angel fish (a lot more interesting than you'd think), and then some dithers (neon tetras are dumb and slow, maybe cardinals, black neons definately work well, danios are great but not american).

Angels are great to watch and you dont need to be up close. They don't hide like babies either so most people will appreciate the beauty. Then you'll have dwarf cichlids frollicking around in the undergrowth, defending territories, scouting for food, they're awesome and in a large tank do really well (e.g. multiple pairs can co-exist happily).

PS blue rams have huge balls, adult angelfish will not treat them as edible but rather a worthy opponent so I found.

Keyholes, rams, or a few different apisto's would be the best occupants for a planted tank. Geophagus all like to dig, so don't usually get on too well in heavily planted tanks.

BTW you do know that lush planted tanks aren't really "South American" eh?

I bet someone is going to point out some corner of the Amazon system that does have dense plants just to prove me wrong....

Well im not exactly trying to replicate a certain biotype, and im only using plants that are found in South america, so it South American enough for me :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer to setting it up!

Just need a day with nice weather to take the tank outside to give a good clean, cause it needs one!

And need to find somewhere that sells daltons aquatic mix and sand.

And i have decided not to go for a fully planted, but instead just heaps of wood and leaf litter with some swords along the back.

Going to have Uragauensis at one end and Amazonicus or a redish sword at the other side.

And for tetras i have now decided to just have cardinal tetras.

And will different species of pencilfish be happy in the same tank?

:)

So! its changed again :lol:

Instead of a 120x50x50

im using a 1metre x 50 x 60high

The reason for it is that the new 1m one is in better condition and has 12mm glass, and the 120cm one is only 6mm and i dont really like filling it up.

So, its being delivered tonight or tomorrow from nelson, and il setit up as soon as the other ones sold.