how do you get rid of bleach/smell?

si_sphinx

I use bleach to clean everything, then rinse it well , put it in the sun (if any) and then put it back in the tank. No probs. The sun will remove every last little bit but a good rinsing will work as well. I can sometimes still smell it.

By bleach I assume you mean that strong chlorine smell (like an over-chlorinated swimming pool)? I tend to believe my nose and if I can smell chlorine I won't put it in my tank.

I endorse others' advice:

- Get rid of the sponge as the chlorine will be trapped in it and it will be very hard to get rid of.

- Rinse, rinse, rinse the cannister in lots of hot water.

- Use double or triple-dose chlorine remover.

- Leave it in the sun (when you find it :lol: )

UV and aerated water are both good ways to remove chlorine.

Again, trust your nose. It's not worth the risk of chlorinating your fish!

I would run the filter on a bucket and dose it heavily with dechorinator before even thinking about putting it near a tank.

Its not just the canister, its all the nooks and crannys in the pump, and they hoses too that need doing.

But really, the smell of chlorine is what you get when it has broken stuff down, so it may be all gone despite the smell, a pool that smells like that is usually underchlorinated, and when you add more it will finish the job and smell goes.