Changing tanks

mumzy50

Is Janola ammonia or chlorine based? Either way I wouldn't use that near my fish tanks. Will completely kill beneficial bacteria and likely the fish once the residue gets in the water.

A simple rinse will be fine, warm water is better, but I usually just use the hose for gravel in bucket, swirl hose around etc etc. (I know people are thinking that isn't good for the beneficial bacteria, but at the same time you've disturbed a lot of nasty bacteria, and fish poop you could do without.)

Don't clean the filters (unless they badly need it), and if you do just a quick rinse in luke warm water or tank water. I wouldn't clean any rocks etc either, less that changes the better :)

Good news is you wont go through a full cycle, just want to minimise the possibility of a nitrite spike a few days after they're setup.

Thanks for that.I will just give the gravel a clean with hose.I thought janola would be okay as ive used it on my plant to kill snail eggs and to clean out my breeding tank.But i dont want to destroy the bacteria or risk any readue that might be left on the gravel.

I think Janola has surfactants in which may leave residues which will probably affect your fish adversely in enough quantity.

Get some plain ammonia from the supermarket. It won't be a brand. Shake it then see if bubbles form on the surface, if so don't use it.

You can boil your stones in vinegar, a large bottle is cheap.

Or boil is a strong salty brine solution, also very cheap.

But honestly I would only wash the stones in a bucket using cold water.

Thanks everyone i appreciate the advice as i have never switched tanks before.Would putting a heater in the chilly bin be okay as it will take a few hours to do the change over?.

Personally I would put the chilly bin in a warmish place, wrap it in a blanket and leave it. No need for a heater. If you put a heater in there you are running the risk of it touching the plastic sides and causing problems. Your heater would be more useful in the new tank to stabilise the temp before transferring the fish.

Will i found it a nightmare.Had my ten year old helping and she was great but it took longer.And catching the fish was a pain,once again with my daughters help.And thanks to mitzy for helping to clean out the new one.But now its done,it looks fantastic and im thrilled.But looks empty now.Will now i need to sort out what fish will be going and then restock.My old tank is going to be set up now for my Japanese fire bellied newts and cant wait for that to happen.