deadspots in gravel

nicmack

If you're syphoning the gravel regularly & stirring it up a bit, there is no reason why it should develop dead spots. If there are some areas you can't reach with your syphon, just run your fingers through it once in a while to make sure oxygen can get in.

You should never need to change your gravel.

Near large plants I sometimes just dig my fingers in around them to make sure they have enough air reaching their roots. The only time it's a problem would be if the plant died off and left a dead mass of roots under the surface that started to rot. Live plants do an excellent job of keeping the substrate aerated.

I could be completely wrong but I think the worry about dead spots is all bollicks. Most of the plants used in aquariums are bog plants, some of which will survive submersed. In nature they live in bogs and bogs are generally anaerobic and that is how peat is formed. I grow aquarium plants in sand and never vacuum other than excessive surface detritus, and seem to be able to keep and propagate most tropical aquarium plants without stirring the media up. If you use JBL fert balls or similar you will stir up a very fine sediment that is a total pain. God may have long fingers but I bet she has better things to do that stick them into bogs that can grow plants without any interference.

I could be completely wrong but I think the worry about dead spots is all bollicks. Most of the plants used in aquariums are bog plants, some of which will survive submersed. In nature they live in bogs and bogs are generally anaerobic and that is how peat is formed. I grow aquarium plants in sand and never vacuum other than excessive surface detritus, and seem to be able to keep and propagate most tropical aquarium plants without stirring the media up. If you use JBL fert balls or similar you will stir up a very fine sediment that is a total pain. God may have long fingers but I bet she has better things to do that stick them into bogs that can grow plants without any interference.

Freudian slip there or intentional? :lol: