place to download music?

imsweet

I have no idea what a torrent is. But if it's easy i'll try. Thanks.

If you are going to utilize torrents and peer to peer sharing then make sure you have security on your computer. There are a ton of fakes files and opportunistic computers out there ready to attack your computer and steal your data and corrupt your system.

Also, Big Brother is ALWAYS watching.

Yep, you want to have up-to-date anti-virus software. Avast is a good free one - it has a specific P2P filter (point to point - as in bittorrent) and has kept my PC safe for a few years now. Make sure you keep your virus definitions up-to-date, out of date AV software is worthless. Avast does daily automatic updates by default, but turn the annoying "Virus database has been updated" sound effect off :)

You should also have a firewall of some sort, the built in Windows firewall is OK, if somewhat blunt.

PM me if you need a hand with anything!

Now for a rant :) The sooner the music industry moves away from the big business telling us what to listen to model, and taking most of the profit, the better, as far as I'm concerned. This following is a post from Slashdot today - it's Dizzy Rascal's production manager explaining how people 'pirating' music has worked out very well for Dizzy.

"Please excuse the rant, one of my disparate jobs is that I am Dizzee Rascal's production manager.

For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he is a UK hip-hop star whose most recent release is presently at No.1 in the singles charts, where it has been since its release at the beginning of the month. We entered the charts on download sales alone (physical unit sales are dead). It is fair to assume that a trend in retail purchases of media will be shadowed by a similar trend in illegal downloading of the same media. It is accurate to say that, so far this month, more people in the UK are buying Dizzee's record than any other. Therefore I can infer that there are a significant number of illegal downloads of the song taking place - it's not unreasonable to suggest perhaps more than any other chart single.

Dizzee is a self-made artist by anyone's definition. He has not had major label backing at any point in his career and this release is on his own label (Dirtee Stank Recordings).

He is creating wealth, jobs, tax revenue and all the other things beloved of the government when making speeches about "small British businesses".

He is also the most visible UK artist in the hip-hop genre, traditionally highly US-centric, raising the profile of British music around the world.

How much would we see of this "immunity to prosecution" levy?

NOT ONE PENNY.

That's right, the proposed measures would do nothing for a British citizen, running a British business (no fancy off-shored tax evasion here), with the Number 1 record in the UK this summer. We're not part of the cabal whom these measures would benefit. Why should anyone trust a major label to do the right thing by the artists when they've been screwing them for 93.5% of their revenue for years. I believe we have demonstrated that a label is not required to build an artist from scratch - this is not Radiohead or NIN turning on their labels and capitalising on pre-existing brand awareness - Dizzee came from nowhere, and if you have heard of him it is because he works so damn hard.

Everyone on this forum recognises the naivety of any claim to end file-sharing. In fact this kind of agreement is more likely to "stamp-out" our successful business.

If I authorise our fans to seed torrents of show bootlegs, or recruit them to promote up-coming artists from the label by sharing album previews on P2P networks, am I placing them at risk of punitive measures from their ISPs, or potential criminal prosecution? Perhaps the only safe thing to do is leave USB sticks in club toilets.

No doubt soon this will also be targeted by labels as a promotion channel outside their control that can lead to independent artists mucking with projected chart positions.

Yes, we kept McFly off the top spot this week. Yes, somebody may lose their job over it - that's the way major labels work when you don't meet expectations. No, I'm not sorry.

We learned our lesson years ago, after being flown first class to Argentina, being put up in 5-Star hotels with a few days each side of the show to see the country, going on stage in front of 30,000 people who knew the words to all the songs, and coming home with money in our pockets.

We don't have distribution in Argentina.

We have never sold a copy of any of Dizzee's albums in Argentina, as the records aren't available (excusing imports, which we don't see the markup on).

That's a lot of downloads.

I suppose we should display our gratitude by suing the Argentinians.

Of course, we don't spend our time suing anyone - we spend it uploading everything to YouTube [youtube.com], to save you from having to share it yourselves!"

I used to use the torrents sites and had such bad luck once i had a hacker delete my bios and hackers and all sorts, lucky for me hubby is a computer tech. we had tons of protection on my computer but there is some clever people out there.

I hate it when you download a file, and its taken a wee while and you open it up only to find it is something nasty and dodgy :lol:

I remember this feeling after Eight Below had only just been out a wee while, was so looking forward to watching it that night once bed time hit and hello, this don't look like no snow and dog movie :o:wink: :lol: