Moving

Dan

Hi all, :o

Im about to move from the Bay of Plenty to Marlborough. a removal company will be moving the house hold stuff and actual tank.

I was planing on putting the fish in a chilli bin with water from the tank and taking the canister filter and heater with me.

it will be about 8 hours traveling in the car plus the ferry ride. we may stop over night somewhere and if so i will put the filter and heater into the chilli bin and do a small part water change.

likewise when we get down south it will be a few days to a week before the tank is set up again so i will do the same with water changes ever couple of days as the chilli bin is only about 10-15 litres and they are used to a 180 litre tank.

Are the fish likely to survive, the trip and /or living in a chilli bin?

Is this the best way to do it? :bounce:

fish are:

3 x clown loaches.

1 x red tail black shark,

1x silver shark

some ciclids (sp) 2 x adults and some (aprox 4) small ones.

1 x small plec

1x small bristlenose

1 x small chinese algae eater

I successfully did this a few months ago.

I put fish into 50L bins with clip on lids. Put canister media in with fish. Bins were about 1/3 filled with water. Bins covered in feather down duvets.

Stayed @ a mates overnight. Used bottled spring water for water change. Ran filters and heaters overnight.

Setup when I got down here. Was in transit for ~40 hours.

MAKE SURE YOU TEST YOUR WATER AT YOUR NEW PLACE.

The only deaths I had were from copper in the hot water at the new house. I was using hot and cold to match tank temperature.

Good luck.

That does sound like a lot of fish to have in a 10 - 15 litre chilly bin. I would suggest at least see if you can get a larger bin and/or some polystyrene boxes from your LFS.

Makes it more difficult to regulate temp etc if you use smaller bins, but in a single small bin there will be quite a build-up of stress-related chemicals over that amount of time, which makes it much harder on your fish.

Good luck!