Japanese fire bellied newts

mumzy50

Hi i was wondering what size tank would be ok for say four newts and would a glass lid be ok or would i need a mesh lid.I want the tank half water half land, and to plant the land with small type ferns.How deep does the water need to be and what type of filters would i need.

Definitely need a mesh lid as they will climb out. It will also help to keep fruit flies in if you feed them to your newts. I find about 5-7 cm of water is fine with island so that they can get out of water when they wish. I dont use filter because of shallow water and newts do not like strong current, I just change half the water each week.

P1010037.jpg

They dont need a big tank. My tank is not set up as a display tank.

Definitely need a mesh lid as they will climb out. It will also help to keep fruit flies in if you feed them to your newts. I find about 5-7 cm of water is fine with island so that they can get out of water when they wish. I don't use filter because of shallow water and newts do not like strong current, I just change half the water each week.

They dont need a big tank. My tank is not set up as a display tank.

Does the water get smelly with no filter.I would have thought even doing water changes crap would get between the gravel.Are they active, or do they just sit there.And what other types can you get in New Zealand.Thanks

Hi I Am Also A Newbie This Year To Newts As W

ell I Got Two Japanese Newts At One Month Old In November And Two Chinese Newts At 4months Old

First 4Months Is The Aquatic Stage

They Eat Only Water Dwelling Or Live Foods That Can Survive Being Submerged In Water For Some Time Like Daphnia (Highly Recommend) ,White Worm,Frozen Blood Worm (May Take Practice), Small Earth Worms (Recommended If Small Enough) ,Water Boat Men, Baby Brine Shrimp (Last Resort) Feed Lots To Maintain A Good Growth Rate

It Is Recommended To Keep The Water Shallow And Cool To Give Them A Chance At Finding There Food

A Few Plants Ect For Them To Climb On And Hide In Avoid Decorations With Hollow Parts As They May Hide In There And May Be Difficult To Coax Out

Around The 3rd Month Add A Small Easily Accessable Land Area

4Months On words Is The Aqua phobic Stage They Do Not Like Water And At This Stage They Can Be Stubborn But They Get Used To It Recommended To Have A Set Up That Is A Little More Water Than land So That They Continue To Have A Good Growth Rate They Don't Grow As Well In A Terrestrial Set Up As I Discovered If Doing Terrestrial Keep It Small And Provide Lots Of Live Foods Wing Less Fruit Flies And Aphids Recommended Also Keep The Set Up Simple To Avoid The Newts Getting Lost In There You Can Now Add Land Dwelling Foods Such As Aphids, Wingless Fruit Flies,Flies?

1Year Haven't Quite Got There Yet But Mine Have Developed There Preference For Land Or Water Depending On There Size You May Be Able To Add Baby Guppy's Cultured By You As A Food Not Highly Recommended But People Do It Just Another Option For A Food Source Can Increase The Water Level As They grow And Get More Creative With The Set Up As They Grow

Just My Experiences Trials And Observations Some One Will Correct Me If I Am Wrong Hope It Helps

good post dantesgirl, summed it up nicely :D
I agree. You have done plenty of research. Excellent job. Here is another thread that may also help if you havent spotted it. Young newts that have spent a bit of time on land can look funny when they try to get back in the water, they have a hard time trying to sink. :bounce: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/newt-pics-vt30400.html

Great info thanks its been very helpful.I have made up my mind and decided to get some.Now all i have to do is get my best son inlaw to make a lid for the tank, i have decided to use and scrape the paint off the back.

Im sure if you baby sit for me I could make him do it lol :P

:P:P:P:P :lol: Joking