Broken Bracing on Tank

gilly

I have just verbaly agreed to buy a nearly new 1800 x 600 x 600 tank.

The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is the centre bracing has been cracked all the way through on the top.

The owner said this happened because of a light directly on the glass heating it up etc.

Would it be OK to silicone another piece below the broken bit and between the side bracing and then another below that overlapping onto the side bracing.

Could there be other potential problems with the tank if it was left for a while with the brace broken... does glass weaken under pressure.

Thanks

Ian

If it was me having a tank of that size I would sort it out as soon as before it caused you any trouble. The previous owner may have been lucky and not had the tank burst, but you may not be as lucky.

If you can cut the brace out and replace it.

Best to do it while the tank has no water in it.

If it has water in it then there are ways and means of supporting the tank.

I Havn't gotthe tank yet and it is currently empty I would get it repaired before I even tried to move it I Think. The light which caused the problem was a 12 led moonlight light which was directly over the brace and within 2 cm.

Whats Euro bracing

Thanks

It does have bracing 50mm front and back but also has 200mm not 50 at each end and another 200mm brace in the center (Broken).

Thanks for your advice all I still can't decide wether to get this one or a new one.