Great...Power being disconnected...

Ira

Powers back on

Im sure all will be fine although the same cant be said for the boyracer as he was taken to hospital... it makes you wonder how he can totally distroy a lamp-post on a straight road. Not a very long road.. possible 3 or 400 meters long and the lamp-post is half way

no losses and another power cut in the middle of the night... 4.5 hours for the first one and I dont know how long for the second

What concerned me was that I had just finnished my water changes at about 4 and the power went off at 4.15. The last 2 tanks got 40% changes as I didnt do them last week and so they had just had reasonable cold water added

I just used one and put it on a power box, all the outlets on the UPS will be wired in parallel anyway. Actually thinking about it, it's wired onto the end of a extension lead now, since I can't fit my UPS under the cabinet

Yeah, I was thinking that. Could grab a cheap extension cord and power strip, bit of soldering and it'll be done. I have some jumper cables to connect it to the car battery and enough extension cords around to reach the filters.

Car battery well be fine for a one off, but normally you should use a deep cycle battery, like a marine battery.

Are you going to leave this setup and going while your away?? Bit dodgy if you ask me, my old UPS (was a decent APC smart UPS) was over charging the batteries, they got all swollen and split, made a mess of the inside of the case.

Car battery well be fine for a one off, but normally you should use a deep cycle battery, like a marine battery.

Are you going to leave this setup and going while your away?? Bit dodgy if you ask me, my old UPS (was a decent APC smart UPS) was over charging the batteries, they got all swollen and split, made a mess of the inside of the case.

It's only meant to be a one off. Why would I want to have 3 extension cords running to opposite ends of my house permanently.

And I'll have my father in law who is looking after the cats, birds and fish, unplug the UPS and plug everything back in where it belongs afterwards.

Check if the battery is isolated from the mains, its not on most small cheap UPS's, so you have high voltages on the terminals of the 12v battery with respect to earth.

Even some with external battery connectors are not isolated, as I found out when I let the sparks out of one spectacularly.

do you really think it will be a problem? often the outages are for far less.

Discovered on the morning that the UPS would happily run a single filter, but not all 3. So I had to risk it and just run one.

And the nice little 5 hour "Often are for far less" outage according to the guy I had checking them turned out to be approx 8 hours judging from the amount clocks were off.

No deaths as of last report.

• 2 weeks later...