Breeding setups

TM

mine are also in the garage and my main regreat is not making things more insulated before I started.

I have 25 tanks that are 600 wide and 22 have solid deviders makeing 47 tanks.

The reason I built them like that was to save on heaters and therefore power points.

Im hopefull of moving the tanks into my wifes hobby room and if that happens, I will fit another 10/20 tanks in

No Alan

Shinal is moving into the other side of the garage so she has more room and I suggested that Brenda moves her "stuff"into Shinals room so that will leave Brendas room in the garage free... Im just an all round nice guys as I also offered to buy the paint for them to do up all the rooms

Brenda is a doll maker... one of the best in the country, a teddybear maker and makes dance and ice skating uniforms. Shes thinking of makeing flower girl outfits as well. She makes almost nothing from them but enjoys doing it

Hi TM,

I would like to give you a couple of hints for building a Fishroom.

When I build mine, which is 2.2 X 4.5 metre square (Just under 10m2 and therefore no permit required) I installed water, floor drain and floor solar heating. It has a termostat regulated wall heater keeping the temperature between 24C and 25C, it is well insulated with 100mm batch in both walls and roof, I also have a small air compressor.

There are tanks measuring 150 X 150 X 300mm and 150 X 300 X 300mm on both side of the room, and a few tanks measuring 300 X 300 X 600mm.

I collect rain water from the roof in a big plastic drum outside, from where it is pumped inside the fish room filtered and kept in 60 liter tanks where it sits untill the room temperature brings it up to 24C.

The fish room is now four years old, and I have found it to work very well for breeding several species of killifish.

In the event you need further details or information, please feel free to contact me.

Hi all,

I havent got killies ( some might say ....yet) :lol:

But I HAVE just met Barrie (qudos for those fish Barrie) :bow:

And as much as I love chinese food and fish the thought of Barrie in a flower girl outfit is enuff to make me loose both my appitite and the desire to breed anything.... let alone killies :o

Thanks Wok. :hail:

Navarre

Wok

That is even too much (far too much) for even my mind to cope with ...

I feel sorry for all those that have met me and now have to inagin me in a flower girl outfit.

I must say the Erlings system is a really great system although I think he needs another room

There is a seperate room that you enter before entering the fish room and this is used to store all sorts of things, really handy

ej, hate to give you a bad day. A building under 10 sq M does not require a building consent provided it is only one story high, at least as far from the boundary as high and does not contain certain things including plumbing and drainage. Better get out the camouflage nets.

Hi TM,

I would like to give you a couple of hints for building a Fishroom.

When I build mine, which is 2.2 X 4.5 metre square (Just under 10m2 and therefore no permit required) I installed water, floor drain and floor solar heating. It has a termostat regulated wall heater keeping the temperature between 24C and 25C, it is well insulated with 100mm batch in both walls and roof, I also have a small air compressor.

There are tanks measuring 150 X 150 X 300mm and 150 X 300 X 300mm on both side of the room, and a few tanks measuring 300 X 300 X 600mm.

I collect rain water from the roof in a big plastic drum outside, from where it is pumped inside the fish room filtered and kept in 60 liter tanks where it sits untill the room temperature brings it up to 24C.

The fish room is now four years old, and I have found it to work very well for breeding several species of killifish.

In the event you need further details or information, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for that ej, all good info.

Not planning on a room as i need the space for other aquaria related things.

Looking at building a unit on one of the walls. Basically like a big cupboard all sealed up.

I am thinking it will be about 2000 x 1200 x 500mm.

3x 650w x 400d x 300h on bottom

6x 300w x 350d x 250h

10x 200w x 300d x 200h

or there abouts.

Just wanted to see other peoples setups to click the brain into gear.

Tanks down the botton teand not to get the same care and treatment. Water changes are sometimes missed or maybe not quite as bigger change.

I would there for recomend that you put the larger tanks higher and the small tanks down low as that way, you can simply slide out the tank to do water changes and clean ups. If they are heated with heaters, it would be a bit harder of course.

I will send some photos to you this weekend if thats OK

Tanks down the botton teand not to get the same care and treatment. Water changes are sometimes missed or maybe not quite as bigger change.

I would there for recomend that you put the larger tanks higher and the small tanks down low as that way, you can simply slide out the tank to do water changes and clean ups. If they are heated with heaters, it would be a bit harder of course.

I will send some photos to you this weekend if thats OK

It will be about 800 of the ground, so about waist height.

There is already a big workbench at that height.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for the information re. what a building under 10m2 cannot contain, I must admit, I did not know this!

When I fist got in to Killis, I had a small cubbord in the garage it was 1500mm H X 800mm W X 400mm D it was well insulated and was heated with a termostated controled 60W light bulb.

In this simple setup I did breed several Killi species, but maily A. australe which is one of the easy Killis to breed from.

I can also recommend the Aus. nigripinnis, this South America Killi can cope with temperature down to 4C. I keep them outside all year in plastic containers, and they are breeding for me in Clay Flower Pots filled with peat. This way they get plenty of insects in their diet.

When I fist got in to Killis, I had a small cubbord in the garage it was 1500mm H X 800mm W X 400mm D it was well insulated and was heated with a termostated controled 60W light bulb.

That sounds more like what i plan on doing, you don't happen to have photos of it do you? Can email me if that is easier.

I can also recommend the Aus. nigripinnis, this South America Killi can cope with temperature down to 4C. I keep them outside all year in plastic containers, and they are breeding for me in Clay Flower Pots filled with peat. This way they get plenty of insects in their diet.

Really 4C, thats pretty cold, is this the only killi that can live in these conditions?