Getting food to the bottom of the tank and keeping it there!

peanut2110

Hi all,

May be a dumb question but what is the best way / device of getting food to the bottom of the tank and keeping it there long enough for the bottom feeders to get at it?

I have 2 clown loaches (about 4cm) and a synodontis catfish (about 20cm) and a BN (about 5-6cm) that often don't get the food as my greedy cichlids eat it on the way down! Or if it is fortunate enough to land on the bottom of the tank, it doesn't stay there for long as the cichlids sniff it out and eat it off the tank floor!

It doesn't seem to matter that I feed the cichlids first, drop it all in together or put the food in after lights out! I know these bottowm feeders aren't getting their fair share and I would just like to make sure they do!

Ideas please? :roll:

Lol with my aim at speed I am liable to miss the aquarium altogether!!!

I have tried feeding at different ends but the tank is only 1.5m long and some of the bigger cichlids with good peripheral vision see the big pellets or lumps of frozen shrimp and leg it (or should I say "fin" it...) down to the other end! Some hits the bottom but thats the stuff that usually then gets picked up off the tank floor. The syno can hold his own if he gets to it in time but the loaches just get pushed out of the way. Maybe I will just feed more at both ends of the tank and see how that goes...

Cheers guys! :D

Brilliant! Now if you can just tell me where one finds a wide-bore tube that would be great! :roll: I am definitely going to give this a go and see if I can get the food in a place the loaches etc can get at it but the cichlids can't stick their greedy noses in! :D

Try a plumbing supplies place :roll: :D

Remember to go for something wide enough for the food to fall through with plenty of room.

Then take a vivid and write "Clown Loach Feeding Station - No Cichlids Allowed" on the bottom and you should have the problem sorted ;)

I use a tetramin product that is red granules. They sink fast and I also use flake. The tank has a lot of active feeders liek silver shark and barbs. Throwing flake in at one end and then dumping the granules at the other works for me. You can always put the food the bottom by hand too this usually scares the fast movers away for a few seconds for my pictus to snag a few mouths fulls before the greedy ass sharks and barbs get back..,,