Help with holiday feeding please

bedazzled

I am going away for a few days and I have a tank with month old guppie fry that I am still feeding several times a day.

My question is, Are the holiday feeding blocks you can buy any good?

I have never used these before and am not too sure whether to trust them or not.

It is really only 1 day that they will be with out any food as I will feed them the the morning when I leave and will be away 2 nights and can feed them the day I get back.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bedazzled :D

We have left our week old fry to fend for themselves over the weekend, just gave them a good feed the Friday morning we left, they were fine when we got back on Sunday evening.

I do not trust the feeding blocks, our fry live in a fairly well established tank with a lot of Java moss and algae growing in various places, so they can have a graze on the green stuff if they get too peckish!

Cool thanks guys :bow:

Will just leave them to fend for themselves :D

There are about 50 baby snails in there too lol so if they get too hungry I am sure they will start eating them and they are also some floating plants they can munch on :D

I agree about the feeding blocks. The only time I have ever had problems with my fish when I went away was when I used a feeding block - I can't prove it was the cause, but I will never use one again.

If you have a more established tank, move some "stuff" from that tank over to your fry tank. It's amazing what fry can find to eat on rocks, amongst plants, etc. This especially applies to fine-leaf plants and rocks or decorations with a rough surface and lots of nooks & crannies.

I usually go away for 3 weeks at a time on vacation, my last vacation was when I visited your lovely country. I will NEVER use feeding blocks as they offer no food or nitrutuional value (my opinion). Do not have people come in a feed your fish for you as they will not know how much to feed or if you use different types of foods which ones to feed. When I last left my fish (11 tanks) non were fed for 2 weeks and I had no losses that I could see or determine.

Your fish will do just fine.