Incubating Bangaii Cardinal Eggs (Not Safe For DialUp)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous
What is LR?? My launar wrass died from old age, thats why I will be able to transferre my reef into the big tank. Plating monti?? Sorry for my ignorance :oops: :oops: :oops: Have you got new pictures?? Hey I loved the picture of DAD, Zaita, thanks for that. :bow: nice fishy!!

LR = Live Rock.

Yea the Lunare I had was about 15cm. Gave him to a friend with another tank so he'll happily grow to full length (30cm).

Plating Monti is a big round coral, shrimps like to hang underneath it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
I need to get a FNZAS dictionary of all the abbreviations so that I know what you blokes are talking about!!! Would be great to see some of your tanks "in the flesh"!! :bounce:

You'll learn em soon enough :)

Anyone is welcome to visit and see my tank when they are in Wellington.

Guest Anonymous

Day 22 Post Spawn (still 4 days prior to normal release).

Some started to each NHBBS today. I also fed some rotifers and will be

preparing some more Rotifers/NHBBS soon and enriching it with phyto.

Will upload final (maybe) set of photos tonight. I think this almost concludes the incubating of Bangaii Cardinal eggs.

Tally: Approx 25 alive, 4 dead total through entire process. Not a bad effort all round. Was most surprised that my gf became more excited seeing them develop than I did (I was more nervous 8) )

I will def do it again, to refine my technique and setup.

Guest Anonymous
Is that urchin a Kneaditius tuthpikii? Is it there to clean up leftover food? Where can I get one?:)

aquaneadicus tickpickus. NZL Native, can tolerate tropical temps fortunately.

They are sooo cool. This may sound stupid but whats the purpose of them being in the jar / jug thing if they can get out?

I'd imagine because the eggs stayed in the jar and now that they've hatched he hasn't bothered to take it out.

Guest Anonymous
They are sooo cool. This may sound stupid but whats the purpose of them being in the jar / jug thing if they can get out?

A round bottomed glass cup. It's used to circulate the water while incubating the eggs. Stops the eggs getting thrashed around. As the Bangaii swim bladders inflate they are now free to swim outta the cup and into the urchin.

A-town: They can spawn in as little as 28days. Typically, it's about 56 days because the male has to hold them for 25days. Then he has to eat to regain the weight he lost by starving for that time. He will spit upto 20 babies (AFAIK).

Guest Anonymous
wow :hail: what a great achievement!! Imagine our fella's starving for 25 days????? :o:o:o Well done daddy fish!!!

Well, unfortunately a few of them will eat the eggs because they get too hungry :P This is what drove me to try and incubate them myself.

Guest Anonymous
Good for you. That is a really good result. You gotta be stoked with them :)

Thanks :). I am stoked now that they have all hatched and seem to be doing ok. Just monitoring them for swim bladder inflation so they can idle better in the water column. They were released from their cup and have taken up intimidation in the urchin :D (see Ira, they like it :P)

I still have to feed them 2-3x daily for the next 6 weeks to get them up-to sale-able size. Fortunately, there is no shortage of hobbyists who are keen on them.

Guest Anonymous

well you did a good job :hail:

im very glad you didnt get to hungry and ate them :D

Bangaii is holding again :D Thats just under 28 days from the last batch (incl the 5 days he held). I guess keeping them well fed does pay off! My 2nd incubation will start on Sunday all going well.

Guest Anonymous

SallyJ, here is a more recent photo of the father Bangaii. Again he is holding eggs :D He is holding the batch I incubated in this photo :) Metal Halides were off, and just 2x Blue T5s

Bangaii02.jpg

You'll learn em soon enough :)

Anyone is welcome to visit and see my tank when they are in Wellington.

might have to take you up on that - am spending Monday to Friday in Wellington until October.....

What a fantastic achievement! Well done

:hail::hail::hail:

Guest Anonymous

No worries Sapph. What area of Wellington are you going to be staying?

On a note for the Bangaii. Half of them (approx) have inflated swim bladders. I am keeping an eye on the other eye and will possible increase the air-stone to add more oxygen into the water to encourage the inflation. If they don't inflate, chances are the fish will not survive.

I maybe will be strip the Male on Sunday (Day 3). Other incubations have reported only 50%+ survival after Day 8. I have already had 24/29 so far from Day 5. So a Day 3 might even be do-able.

For anyone unsure why there should be a high emphasis on breeding fish like Bangaii Cardinal. http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/63572/all

Guest Anonymous
you are having such success that I had better put an order in for some!!!! Thanks Mellisa for the list of abriviations!! TDH - they did help :lol:

Well. I have 24 alive. They all seem quite healthy and were eagerly awaiting their breakfast this morning :D (enriched live baby brine shrimp).

But, how does one determine if their swim bladder is functioning fine? Or inflated? Mine are all acting the same =\

Btw: Still on track to strip the male on Tuesday for another go. Technique improvements I want to try.