Clown Loaches

Adrienne

I am now the proud owner of 6 fat, reasonable sized clown loaches which I acquired this afternoon - an unplanned purchase at the time. I have had a look on the net at a few sites to see what they say.

Any good advice out there re keeping/feeding and looking after them and what to look out for besides ich. They have had a fair bit of stress lately.

Thanks

Nice one.. and good number. i noticed a major difference when i went from having 3 to 6. Now i have about 12 lol. just keep a few caves cuz they will sometimes battle for territory. this will make them feel more secure too. keep good clean water and they like some peat every now and then too :) enjoy them

Congrats on the loach acquisition! You'll love them!

They are very hardy fish and will put up with a lot of stress, but ich is the big thing. When I got my last two, their former owner forgot to mention that her heater broke a couple of days after the auction started and the poor little guys had been in a COLD tank for about a week before I got them! (This was in June 2004 - mid winter)

I was amazed that they both survived their ordeal, and have since thrived. They did get ich, so it's good to keep them in a seperate tank until you are sure they will be ok. So much easier to medicate/raise temp etc when you have no other fish in the tank to worry about.

Once my little guys had recovered from the ich and I put them in the big tank with the rest of the herd, they had a huge growth spurt. I think the previous owner had fed them only flakes, but they soon learned to eat lots of different food including raw shrimps, a whole range of vegetables and whatever commercial food I put in the tank.

Good luck and enjoy your new little buddies!

They can be a bit rough with plants when they get bigger. I think you'd better sell them to me. :lol:

Nah............. They prefer to be in groups of 18 or more :o And if you sold them to me they would be blissfully happy 8) :wink: Conveniently, I happen to have 12 already, hehehe

Cute fish. I have heard a few stories about them being suceptible to lots of fish diseases due to having skin and not actual scales like normal fish? They are soo cool though Very friendly and they have such different personalities. Are you gonna name them all? ha

gorgeous! love the round fat ones i see you have some. never had any prob with mine except the usual odd death from stress being moved or one 20cm one i got from LFS.. the owner guaranteed me for 24hrs (as i noticed some others had ich, this one didn't though) died after 48hrs :evil:

I've found my loaches to be extremely robust and not susceptible to disease at all. I've had three of mine for about 7 years and two others for about 4 years (and just got a new little baby recently - couldn't resist him he's so cute!)

7 year olds: HatuPatu, Lupi, Coco

4 year olds: Gary, Roland

Baby: Trigger

Their tank mates have come & gone (barbs, danios, ottos, platies...) but the loaches just keep on keeping on. I would be devastated if I lost my little loaches!

In the seven years I've been keeping them, there has only been one ich outbreak (directly caused by Gary & Roland's previous owner neglecting them - including letting their water get very dirty and stone cold in mid winter). I've had no other disease or injury.

The issue about scale-less (or small scaled) fish is that you need to be careful with medications and things like salt in the water as they can get overdosed and dehydrated very easily.

With a varied diet and good basic tank maintenance, they shouldn't be hard to keep at all.

By the way, I've lived in at least five different flats since I've had the loaches, so they're always getting chucked in buckets and moved across town! Not exactly a stress-free lifestyle!

I have about 5 clowns quite small largest is about 3-4" for a bit of fun drop in some hard shrimp tablets. They cost a bit for a small sized packet but they hold together and make the clowns scrap for it. Not aggressive but just top dog stuff, fun to watch. My biggest chases off the clowns and nips at the balas noses when they come near and the skunks and clowns nip in while he is off only to get chased away again. Even the little ones have worked out how to pick them up and run off with them now. :)