First look at the new setup

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steve!

I have contacted Marine Depot about purchasing an Iwaki 100, but suspect it will take weeks to arrive. All the plumbing is in, I am ready to go. Damn pump letting me down. I did some tests, I think its pumping water to within about an inch of where I want it to pump :( I think i could build up some 'ghetto' system to force the water higher, but its just not worth it.

Chimera? You have a spare car? Can I have 2 of the window motors please :o)

Am also tempted to get one of those 'UBER' maginets they sell. Made of 'rare' earth magnets etc. $90 USD seems steep, but I have killed a few maginets, they don't last forever in saltwater.

I will post some pics tonight, the weather is AWESOME out here, so if I can I will pop out tonight and get some more water.

Pie

Chim you are the PERFECT person to test that as yr so handy

yeah, no worries - luckily for ball valves for easy removal huh?! my static head is fairly close to that of pies i believe - his a little higher though i think. pies, have you actually measured it all out? i'll post more pic's of my plumbing system later tonight, not alot to it really, very simple. lots of glue and as few bends as possible. any bends needed use 45's as opposed to 90's.

plus you have a donor car

ha haaaa, thats some funny sh@#%!!! :lol: not quite a donor car, but if I dont fix it up soon it will be. does anyone have any contacts to get a 2nd hand honda vtec gearbox or work at a gearbox reconditioning factory I can get my gearbox fixed cheap? bearings are shot in it :-?

pies, see if you can get a discount on the magnets - thats way expensive but im keen on one or two at a good price!

"disclaimer" my smiley's are only intended for Chimera to read please take no offence if you happen to spot them

personally no offence taken - quite funny in fact. even funnier though, the disclaimer = moderators back off :D

BTW, you might want to use the electric window motor with a worm gear to drive your lighting system up/down. Window motor drives the "worm" and the large cog drive a pulley system to lift hood up and down.

Worm_And_Worm_Gear.jpg

Pies, there's an outfit in Wellies that sells rare earth magnets, one of my mates picked some up just to play with they were only a couple of buck each. I'm trying to get the name/address of him now. Is there anything special about the ones you need?? If its just any old rare earth magnet you need try ripping one out of a hard drive, they are great fun and very powerful.

Mine is 730 so should't be a problem then :>

Yeah thats what I was saying about marine depot. They have maginet cleaners $90usd but designed for 12mm glass. Wood finish (oak!) and floating. Sounds expensive but could be worth it as I have burned a few $50 magfloats and on my 3rd cheapo (lost half of one somewhere, am curious if it turns up in my tank, maybee it sunk).

Pie

JetSkiSteve sent me his DelTec return pump today, so I hope to get a chance to try it out tonight! Water circulating through the tank is a big hastle out of the way. Quite excited about it actually. It will also mean that my 740 litre tank is fed by over 2000 litres of sump :) hehehehehe

Pies

Here is a picture of the final reef rack. This is theright hand side used to support the 'wall of rock' thats going to sit on it. These racks are going to work out awesomely. I have a bare bottom in the tank at the moment and although there are some places where sediment is collecting none of it is happening under the rock, this is GREAT news and couldn't have worked out better if I had planed it ;)

piestwostoredreefrack.jpg

Take a minute to thank JetSkiSteve. Steve is by far the most helpful person I have encountered so far in this hobby, selfless and friendly, I feel I am always in Steves debt for something. This time Steve took pity on my Iwaki pump not pushing water from the garage to upstairs, so he sent me his big Deltec pump. After a little fluffing around I now have water circulating between the garage and the lounge! THANKS STEVE. This is a major milestone. first it means I don't have a 'film' buildup on the water, second, its one step closer to connecting the two systems together. This means I get the water skimmed, heated with more accuracy (you don't realise how good a job the electronic controller does until you stop using it!), and no shock for the animals when I move them from one tank to the next. The deltec is almost perfectly silent too, but I could do with a tad more grunt. Still its going to be perfect for now.

piestwinseaswirls.jpg

Well i've been to the ocean 5 times now and still the tank needs more water! Just incase your where woundering how much water I collect in one go, here is an arial shot! The water over the past few days and been cristal clear. How much is salt? :o I wounder how much money I have saved doing this? It would have taken about 2 months to make enough water with my RODI to fill the tank anyway! :)\\ :wink:

piebeentoocean.jpg

So water is circulating, using a temp 3 foot fishtank (old rock curing tank) as a temp sump. The next BIG step is the 'merge' of both systems. I will have to buy a few bits and bobs, which is whats putting me off more than anything. I will need to buy some PVC pipe, which always bugs me as its so damn expensive! Anyone in Wellington with some pipe the can donate/lend to me? 25mm or larger will be perfect. 20mm if nothing else shows up? You know how to find me :lol:

When am I going to add fish is the question I keep being asked? The answer? NEVER! Ok ok ok, maybee not never. I will move the clownfish into the tank as soon as I move the H.Magnificia Anemone, other than that I am going to hold off until after christmas, I really want to get the copepod population growing. People keep asking why I have such a big fish tank if I don't want fish in it. Well I don't call it a fish tank. I am warming to the term 'captive reef'.

Piemania

Yup thats the one, its seems quite a character, was raceing round the tank at full speed and then would stop just as fast on a rock, or coral or sumthing and start steering at me, but it was like he was walking on his fins?? he kept useing his fins to change postions on the rock, and get a different angel of the ppl loking at him/her?

what sort of temperment do they have? could they e kept in a small reef tank?

Shae 250

Hawkfish a predators, eating shrimps and anything else they can hunt. I have been lucky, mine have been very well behaived.

The reason the 'walk' on there fins is because they have no swim bladder, so can't really swim like other fish, when they stop 'kicking' they sink :)

Great fish and would never not have one. They like a bit of space, but would be OK in a 4 footer I guess. The scarlett hawkfish are fairly expensive at the moment, last time I saw one at Jansens was $185.00. They live for at least 10 years (we know someone who had one for that long).

Great fish 10/10. I liked my pixy hawkfish more, which died in the move :(