What are you reading now and what is your best book?

I'm currently reading Boudica, Dreaming The Eagle by Manda Scott. It's part 1 of 3 and is set in 60 AD Britain. Clans, spirituality and battles. So far it's pretty good.

I can't name a favourite as such because I've read countless books. I always have a book on the go and have done for over 20 years, so the pile is pretty huge.

Some that are memorable are Henri Charrieres autobiography 'Papillon', 'Lady in the Lake' by Raymond Chandler, I love his style, and although he's not to my taste these days I remember enjoying Stephen Kings 'It' a lot and I really enjoyed Bram Stokers 'Dracula'. It's pretty corny but such a classic and a fun read.

I'm currently reading Boudica, Dreaming The Eagle by Manda Scott. It's part 1 of 3 and is set in 60 AD Britain. Clans, spirituality and battles. So far it's pretty good.

I read this not too long ago, was a good read but I never got hold of either of the sequels! So still don't know how the story ends, lol :lol:

All Bryce Courtenay books are great. Also Stephen King, but I kinda get bored with his personalities of characters - they seem to repeat in a number of his books.

Last few books I read haven't been great. No point mentioning.... But my 'bestest' book would have to be Alexander Dumas' - 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. Highly recommended. :D

Current: Chopper Boys by Rex Forester. Its about the mad buggers flying around in choppers hunting deer it will amaze you what they got up to.

Previous: Back steak & back Aches by Phillip Holden. More stories from the hunting days, hilerious. better than Barry crump IMO.

Bilbo, did you get to read the last of the "enders game" series? my library did not get it.

Micheal Criton's "Eaters of the Dead "is cool

Really liked Stranger in a Strange Land , Robert Heinlien I think

currently reading" Hannibal Rising"

My husband reads NOTHING but Wheels magazine. He has read it religiously since the early 80s. When we lived in Ireland he had his mother post it over monthly. He has a methodical way of reading it every month and when he has read the whole magazine from cover to cover he starts it again. :roll:

My husband reads NOTHING but Wheels magazine. He has read it religiously since the early 80s. When we lived in Ireland he had his mother post it over monthly. He has a methodical way of reading it every month and when he has read the whole magazine from cover to cover he starts it again. :roll:

he is a star, i do not read wheels but i was the same with street machine. i admire his staying power, i had to give evrything up when i started a family. :o

Bilbo, did you get to read the last of the "enders game" series? my library did not get it.

No I only got the first 3

never read Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant or A War of Gifts: An Ender Story.

the "Hannibal Rising" I was refering to is the early life of Dr. Hannibal Lector Fiction "Silence of the Lambs" is the third in the series.

I know what you mean, Smidey. I no longer get Street Machine, Aussie Street Rodding, Cruzin' and NZ Rodder every month. Still get Street Machine once a year when the calender comes with it.

I'm currently reading Dearly Devoted Dexter (the second book on which the TV Series is based) it's pretty good - about a blood spatter analyst with an uncontrollable impulse to kill, which he harnesses for good. If you liked American Psycho you'll like this, though it's a little more tame.

I also liked David Eddings early books (Belgarian & Maloreon) but hate the ones he does now.

I was also disappointed in the latest Lee Child. Not up to his usual standard I thought :cry:

Have you re-read the Belgarian/Maloreon? It was one of my favourite series as a teenager, now I can't read it for irritation at the controlling female characters and transparent racism (well, racism may be a bit strong but certainly very Tolkien-esque in his portrayal of "the east" etc)

Another Terry Pratchett fan :-)

I am re reading Tolkins LOTR for something to do

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide etc

Will read just about anything except 'based on the true story of.....' type books

Must read Orson Scott Card! I'm getting really picky about books and I'm sad from lack of selection these days, but he looks good.

My favourite series of all time is George RR Martin A Song of Ice and Fire. Never read such complex and three-dimensional characters. Would also recommend all the Katherine Kerr books, The Nine Princes in Amber series by Roger Zelazny (sp?) and the Assassin's Apprentice series by Robin Hobb. For sci fi you can't go past Ben Bova in my opinion. Any books who still stand up as well as his 30 years later deserve praise, and they're lovely to read. Oo, and David Gemmell writes wonderfully if you like hero fantasy, though it gets repeatitive if you read too many in a row. For a change of pace I love Dick Francis, his novels flow wonderfully.

OK, that was a rambling post. But there you go :D

I haven't read any Ben Bova, but Heinlein, Asimov and Arthur C Clarke are really the epitome of Sci Fi for me. They practically invented the genre, and they certainly perfected it - and they were writing stories while Bova was in diapers :P

Today I'm reading Tropic of Cancer.