Dwarf Chain ?

Southerrrngirrl

Years ago I had a plant growing in one of my tanks, I think its called Dwarf Chain something??? I got it from the LFS, but haven't been able to get any since. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and does anyone have any? I'm willing to pay for it!!

Its a small low growing plant, sort of like a flax I guess, and it propogates by runners.

There are a number of dwarf chain swords. I think in NZ we have Echinodorus tenellus tenellus, E. tenellus latifolius and another that I don't know the name of (possibly tenellus parvula). There is a dwarf sagittaria (S. microfolia---not to be confused with and smaller than S. subulata) which is often mistaken for tenellus and looks very similar to the unknown one. Latifolius is sold periodically on Trademe. I have them all, but grown emersed and in short supply at this time of year. What plants do you have available that you could bribe me with. They would need to be good.

There are a number of ways to tell Sagittaria from tenellus. When flowered by growing in shallow water or emersed all Echinodorus sp. have bisexual flowers. That is the stamens are around the outside of the female part of the flower. Sagittaria sp. have both male and female flowers and they are quite different. Also tenellus has one central vein in the leaf and Sagittaria has three veins.

Haha I'm afraid my plants are no good, guarantee you wouldn't want them. Most of the plants I have have been chewed on by my bristlenoses.

I found a picture of Sagittaria platyphylla and it looks very much like what I had, although it didn't grow that big.

I wish my LFS used latin names.. hey, even the common names would be good. Their stuff isn't labelled.. hence why I end up not knowing what I have.

Sagittaria subulata will grow to 500mm with good light CO2 and soft music. S. microfolia in my tanks is usually 30mm but no doubt would be a bit taller in the right conditions. It is about 50mm when grown emersed. E. tenellus tenellus (the very fine leafed one)requires pretty good light but the others only require moderate light. I have microfolia growing with 60 watts of flouros at 500mm water depth 17 hours/day.