June 22, 200818 yr comment_245281 Just planning out my next project and trying to decide on which substrate i am going to use. Plan at this stage is to build a 1000 x 500 x 550h aquarium made from 8mm low iron glass with polished edges, total water height will be 500mm. Size was based on where the tank could fit. Lighting will be either 4 or 6 39w T5's staggered to give a good spread of light. Selection of plants, driftwood, rocks etc with a few tetras. So the question really is what substrate do you all run, what do you like about it and would you use it again. Not wanting gravel more sand like. Is there a large range of colors out there? Any other comments welcome... Thanks Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245293 i like the look of plain river sand its grains run in size from tiny to very small gravel nice and natural looking also very cheap Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245304 I too like the darker river sand. I have west coast beach sand which is a nice mix of dark. Fine sand creates a soft effect which I like IMT. Report
June 22, 200818 yr Author comment_245311 Thanks, i've spent a fair bit of time on the coast and have thought a few times of using the sand. Which are did you get yours from??? You could then pick what grain size you want to. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245314 I got mine from Hokitika. Grain size is <1mm. It is powder fine. My loaches love it. It took ages to wash it though. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245353 I like dark substrate too as it shows the fish's colours more. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245361 I like darker gravel too. I think its called Brightwater Gravel, but that's my favourite, best gravel ever IMO. Its the right size (not too big to clean, not too small to clump up) and has great dark colouration without looking fake. Trouble is you can't just hop down to the landscapers and buy 20kg of it. I always end up paying an outrageous amount for bags and bags and bags. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245364 I love Daltons Propagating Sand, beautiful and natural looking 8) I have recently set up an african tank and have used this black substrate that looks like black sand, put out by Aqua One... the fish looking stunning against it, coral rock and limestone look fantastic against the black also.. I have seen a planted tank with this used as the top layer and it looks fantastic against the green plants. Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245367 in my main tanks I still use undergravel filters coverd in a thin layer of fine fabric to stop the fines going through together with a can filter that gives me min 15 min all water pass through...then I use a layer of pumice sand from taupo..built up to 60mm in places with rocks...I am convinced the small pumice grains ( some up to 3mm ) help with the bio filter system...results are the water is GIN CLEAR Report
June 22, 200818 yr comment_245370 in my main tanks I still use undergravel filters coverd in a thin layer of fine fabric to stop the fines going through together with a can filter that gives me min 15 min all water pass through...then I use a layer of pumice sand from taupo..built up to 60mm in places with rocks...I am convinced the small pumice grains ( some up to 3mm ) help with the bio filter system...results are the water is GIN CLEAR Undergravel filters are totally underrated. Report
June 23, 200818 yr comment_245398 in my main tanks I still use undergravel filters coverd in a thin layer of fine fabric to stop the fines going through together with a can filter that gives me min 15 min all water pass through...then I use a layer of pumice sand from taupo..built up to 60mm in places with rocks...I am convinced the small pumice grains ( some up to 3mm ) help with the bio filter system...results are the water is GIN CLEAR Doesn't pumice float? I'm confused! Report
June 23, 200818 yr comment_245399 I like darker gravel too. I think its called Brightwater Gravel, but that's my favourite, best gravel ever IMO. Its the right size (not too big to clean, not too small to clump up) and has great dark colouration without looking fake. Trouble is you can't just hop down to the landscapers and buy 20kg of it. I always end up paying an outrageous amount for bags and bags and bags. Yeah brightwater gravel is my favourite. Dark but not black - more of a dark charcoal colour. My perfect substrate would be a layer of Dalton's aquatic soil, followed by a layer or brightwater fine gravel, with a bit of pure laterite mixed in with the gravel. Shows the fish off perfectly, clown loaches can have fun digging (without stirring up clouds of sand), plants thrive in it... Report
June 23, 200818 yr comment_245444 Doesn't pumice float? I'm confused! I have found the smaller grains if collected 'wet' do not float.. Report
June 23, 200818 yr comment_245446 I have found the smaller grains if collected 'wet' do not float.. There is quite a bit of it sitting on the bottom of the lake at the moment. You can also boil it and it should sink also. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.