Power savings from insulating back and sides + temp data

dwalk

With my little test for insulating tanks, this is what I have found so far.

Week 1: No insulation Used 18.6kwh

Week 2: 12mm Polystyrene on 3 sides, not inc top Used 14.0kwh

Week 3: 12mm polystyrene on 3 sides,plus top around lights

Week 4: 12mm all around except front during the day / evening.

What this result means

By insulating my test tank with 15mm poly back and sides, I have saved about 24% of the power. Based on a kwh rate of 19cents, my tank costs $3.50 week with no insulation compared to $2.65 insulated on 3 sides. 85 cents a week saving might not sound like much, but this is for only one sml tank, most people have mts and the savings are likely to be a lot higher

The Test Tank

130L community tank, 5 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Striata Loaches. 5 Tiger Barbs, 4 GBA (young), 1 SAE, 3 BN, 1 Plec, 1 Siamese fighter

Filter: Fluval 205, cleaned weekly for duration of test.

Heater: Jager 150w, 25 Degree temp

Lights: Two 15 watt tubes, on a timer for 8 hours a day.

Any idea on the temperature in Levin during the second week of the experiment?

Just this may change the results slightly - although I am happy to conclude that insulating your tank saves power.

Matthew, I've asked Niwa for this info and will post if and when it becomes available. The weather has been reasonably similar I suspect, and my lounge temperature doesn't vary all that much.

Thanks heaps for that!

Great post, maybe when you've finished the results Caryl could throw it in an Aquarium World issue ;) ?

I'll have to order some poly, mine are in an uninsulated garage, and the power cost is rediculous. We have pieces on our fry tanks to provide even temp, but not the big ones :(

Maybe this thread should be headed "how to avoid a power crisis" :lol:

Aha! So it's us and our tanks causing the power crisis!

Please... nobody tell the government or we'll be outlawed :(

dwalk, am I correct that a Fluval 205 is an external cannister filter? If so, I wonder if you would consider adding another week to your experiment. After the tank is fully insulated and you are satisfied that your results are steady, could you insulate the filter and hoses for a week and see if that makes any difference?

Perhaps you could just throw a towel over the cannister and maybe wrap something around the hoses... like bubble wrap or something.

I run two eheim pro II cannister filters on my tank. By the time the water comes out of the tank, goes down the hose (which is against a cold wall) circulates in the cannister (which is on a cold floor) then goes back up the hose into the tank, it has probably lost several degrees in temperature. Doing that a few times an hour would probably have quite an effect on the overall tank temp.

What do you think?

dwalk, am I correct that a Fluval 205 is an external cannister filter? If so, I wonder if you would consider adding another week to your experiment. After the tank is fully insulated and you are satisfied that your results are steady, could you insulate the filter and hoses for a week and see if that makes any difference?

Perhaps you could just throw a towel over the cannister and maybe wrap something around the hoses... like bubble wrap or something.

I run two eheim pro II cannister filters on my tank. By the time the water comes out of the tank, goes down the hose (which is against a cold wall) circulates in the cannister (which is on a cold floor) then goes back up the hose into the tank, it has probably lost several degrees in temperature. Doing that a few times an hour would probably have quite an effect on the overall tank temp.

What do you think?

Sounds a good Idea Whetu, not sure on the best way to insulate the filter and hoses, for as little outlay as possibile. How about some suggestions people??

u could buy a foam camping mattress u know the blue 1s they are cheap at the warehouse , cut it up and cable tie it around ur hoses could also cut out pieces and duct tape them together to make a sleeve to fit over ur filter

maybe find someone with an old chrisco frozen food hamper polystyrene box to put the filter in.make holes for the hoses, and power cord and your away. as stated before, the initial cost (if you have to buy one) will be far outweighed by the savings.

even if it doesn't work, think of thomas edisons reply about his failed lightbulbs ;)

Temperature data for the first two weeks

I've just got the temperature data with min and max temperature for the first two weeks from the Niwa website.

In trying to work out how to compare the two weeks tmperature, I've averaged the daily readings to give an averaged min, and an averaged max for each week.

Week 1 June 9-15 inclusive.

Min temp for the week 2.2c average min 6.7c

Max temp for the week 17.5c average max 14.4

Week 2 June 17-22 inclusive

Min temp for the week -0.9 average min 2.7

Max temp for the week 18.8 average max 14.9

What this means???

The 2nd week has a noticably cooler overnight temp, and a higher average temperature. As it is both cooler at night and slightly warmer during the day, i think the heater would of been working a little harder in the 2nd week. My power saving of 24% could be slightly low.