June 21, 200818 yr comment_244922 well I got my 2ft cube from warren (big thanks) and this is my LOG for the set-up... What I want to do is have 5 pairs of the brazillian seahorse. going to have to convince a importer to bring some in, i dont mind waiting for them but really want them... so what type of equipment would you recomend for this set-up... Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_244929 You are going to put 10~ 8" fish in a 2 foot cube? I would suggest you do some reading on seahorse.org, please. Report
June 21, 200818 yr Author comment_244941 its a 250 liter tank. Seahorses are very slow movers and require more height then length. and they grow to arround 6'' Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_244945 you sound like you are very experienced at keeping seahorses charlie Report
June 21, 200818 yr Author comment_244947 I have never kept a salt water tank in my life. I know how to do it/set-it up, water test. I know my chosen fish back to front and so on. Never kept any... Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_244955 salt water is a big learning curve the theory may be spoton but practical is another kettle of fish i have been keeping and breeding seahorses for 25 years the tank maybe 250 litres but the surface area isn't large you are right they do need height, for breeding only they need clean water they are not a fish to start keeping marines with waterfaller wasa trying to be helpful and starting out keeping marines is better if you have experienced hands to fall back on, when the problem you come across is not on the internet or in a book you need to know it back to front, inside out and upside downside good luck Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245062 stop dreaming charlie im shure the mods would like to no who u realy r Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245066 dont no how many ex you can put my his name he has changed it so many times :roll: Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245068 I'm sorry if I sounded abrasive, I did not mean to. This is what I would do. Take into consideration that I am not familiar with what equipment you have available in your country. Seahorses look great against a black substrate, but they are more work to keep clean and nice looking. You are aware they cannot be kept with any stinging invertebrates? Get a good refractometer. Will you be making the water for the tank yourself, or purchasing it? I would add a sump, to place equipment,add water volume, and add oxygenation to the tank. Keep your heater and protein skimmer here. Will the tank be drilled for an overflow? Perhaps consider growing seagrasses and macro-algaes first. Put sand, live rock, and cycle the tank for several weeks. Some macro algaes such as the red colored ones can be touchy in a new set up. They can be quite beautiful if set up properly. Consider that displacement from rock & sand takes away some of litres available for your ponies. . I would also set up or at least have available, a quarantine tank. You might want to consider tank bred horses over wild caught. The price is much higher, but mortality rate is lower...as they are accustomed to life in an aquarium. They don't come with the various maladies that seahorses are prone to, and are raised to eat frozen mysis shrimp. Get a good quality salt mix. With a marine tank, patience and research are paramount and will bring you success. I have not personally kept seahorses, other than working with them. They are very beautiful and fascinating. They are not an easy first marine fish to keep. I would add two pairs to start.I will help any way that I can.Good luck. 8) Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245070 well done waterfaller we have, currently in nz, tropical kudas which i believe are imported from captive bred stock kudas have been bred in nz, though i don't know if anyone is currently doing them and then our own local Hippocampus abdominalis which are the ones i have worked with Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245071 Kudas are sweet. The H. abdominalis are cute and comical looking. I am partial to H. barbouri . 8) Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245116 Tank is closer to 185ltr not 250ltr then take a bit off for rock etc. The tank would be perfect for a pair but 5 pairs would be way to much. Report
June 21, 200818 yr comment_245117 well done waterfaller we have, currently in nz, tropical kudas which i believe are imported from captive bred stock kudas have been bred in nz, though i don't know if anyone is currently doing them and then our own local Hippocampus abdominalis which are the ones i have worked with There were a couple of other species that came in a while back but not sure who ended up getting them, Reef will be able to fill us in. Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246427 There were a couple of other species that came in a while back but not sure who ended up getting them, Reef will be able to fill us in. Really??!! I would love to hear more about that! what type/ how many/ who gets em??? And Charlie, not ganging up on you but yeah, Waterfaller is spot on. I would take her advice. Starting out overstocked will only lead to dissapointment, not to mention a big void in your wallet! lol ...currently in nz, tropical kudas which i believe are imported from captive bred stock... Hey, just curious who/ how many out there have any survivors from that last shipment? I checked em out at our local, but didn't fork out the $ because they looked all so very teensy tiny ( though not the price!) & none survived Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.