Light bulbs

Dougstark

Hi. Anyone out there using standard spotlights and bulbs for light and heating may want to start stocking up or looking for alternatives. The Government has anounced that all incandescant (non-energy saving) bulbs will be no longer imported as of this time next year.

Thanks for the heads up Dougstark 8) What reason is the govt putting a stop to bringing them in?

They can't help themselves. They want to wrap us all up so tight in so much stuffy cotton wool that we won't be even allowed to go to the bathroom by ourselves soon.

Of course there is no statements made by the Govt. about how astoundingly inept and short sighted they are, having failed to put in place any kind of sustainable energy plan. Or how they are getting so much more petrol taxes with the price at the pumps being almost equivalent to that of liquid gold. And yet they are trying so hard to push through the emissions bill which may or may not be another cash cow for the Govt. if they start charging for carbon credits.

They want to get rid of incandescent light bulbs in place for mercury filled ones. Sure they might save a little on power, but what happens to the millions of these broken bulbs that will lay in the landfills? Mercury will poison the ground. Maybe not next year, but the near future.

Why can't there be a scheme in place forcing all the big companies that occupy large premises or high rise buildings to install an array of solar panels to supply some of their own energy?

I heard something incredible yesterday.

Forestry firms will have to pay up for carbon credits.. What in the name of heck?

Any carbon they make cutting the trees down is going to be counter balanced by the trees surely..

they probably expend more credits cutting, moving and milling the trees

than the tree soaks up in its optimum lifespan

Yes those bulbs supply you with the uv but they do not supply heat. Exo terra recomend using basking lamps for the heat and of course these will not be allowed as they are incandessant bulbs. You may have to go to something like ceramic heat emitters which if availble may be $20-$30 each.

Yes those bulbs supply you with the uv but they do not supply heat. Exo terra recomend using basking lamps for the heat and of course these will not be allowed as they are incandessant bulbs. You may have to go to something like ceramic heat emitters which if availble may be $20-$30 each.

Ceramic heat emitters would be the go.

Demand increases = Supply increases = Economies of scale kicks in = Price drop. In theory(if there is not a shortage)

Im sure there must be cheaper CHE's out there

I use both, the ceramic heat emitters are good for keeping the tank warm, and the spotlights for providing a warmer basking spot.

Why on earth did they make someone from the greens the minister of energy conservation, all they'll do is whinge and grizzle and say 'don't dam that river', 'don't burn that coal', 'don't put turbines on that hill as it is visual pollution for the 3 residents that live 20km across the valley' and never offer any realistic solutions. Electricity has to come from somewhere!

Why on earth did they make someone from the greens the minister of energy conservation, all they'll do is whinge and grizzle and say 'don't dam that river', 'don't burn that coal', 'don't put turbines on that hill as it is visual pollution for the 3 residents that live 20km across the valley' and never offer any realistic solutions. Electricity has to come from somewhere!

Oh, and did you hear there is a special Campbell report on how we should all get rid of the beer fridges as they are deemed unnecessary energy consumers.

All you people out there with chillers on your tanks look out! You just may well need to plan a coup.

So I am wondering if I will be able to hatch my bugs without an incandesent bulb here in good ol Christchurch Winters...any ideas...?

And forestry firms will have to pay carbon tax credits if they are felling more than 50 acres of forest and it is not being replanted...hence the slump in the timber market.

Better to use it for biofuel than anything else but then what do you build/heat with...and onand on and on...Wood is the ONLY renewable heating resource. Problem is it is high particulate.

Navarre

My dad has shares in some forestry down in.. somewhere...

25 year investment, and due to the changes in genetics, even shorter now before the trees are viable for milling...

It'd be interesting to see how much carbon a tree soaks up compared to how much carbon is produced to harvest the things. - Anyone doing a science project currently?

David - Good point.

i work at a recycling centre down here we do not recycle the energy saver bulbs as there is no current viable option for recovering the mercury , ni- cad batteries are the same; however it astounds me how many people say to me "but wat about the mercury?cadmium?"

this is what i say to them do u eat fish and chips once a week ? they say yes. do u have ane idea how much mercury u are eating over a year from the fish? depending on the fish and age of the fish up 2 10 times the amount of mercury that is in the bulb u are complaining about! this normally shuts them up if they go on about mercury in landfills , i tell them to think of where the mercury comes from in the first place its out of the ground! then i reasure them its not leeching out into rivers(CHCH has a high tech land fill at kate valley where thick plastic sheeting is laid on the valley floor b4 ane rubbish is dumped this means leechate runs off in to special holding tanks at the bottom end of the valley and is sprayed over top again or disposed of safely if there is too much) now if they are complaining about cadmium , i ask them if they eat bluff oysters. they normally say yes i love them , then i tell them bluff oysters have so much cadmium in them they cant be exported. in short the mercury thing is a crock of #### as far as im concerned this goes for dental fillings as well. another thing is NZ fishmeal its too high in mercury to be used as animal feed or fish food here so most of our fishmeal is exported mainly to china where a lot of it is rolled up to lil balls and used to feed baby eels on eel farms. when u buy animal feed containing fishmeal or straight fishmeal here it will be imported from china with low mercury

i work at a recycling centre down here we do not recycle the energy saver bulbs as there is no current viable option for recovering the mercury , ni- cad batteries are the same; however it astounds me how many people say to me "but wat about the mercury?cadmium?"

this is what i say to them do u eat fish and chips once a week ? they say yes. do u have ane idea how much mercury u are eating over a year from the fish? depending on the fish and age of the fish up 2 10 times the amount of mercury that is in the bulb u are complaining about! this normally shuts them up if they go on about mercury in landfills , i tell them to think of where the mercury comes from in the first place its out of the ground! then i reasure them its not leeching out into rivers(CHCH has a high tech land fill at kate valley where thick plastic sheeting is laid on the valley floor b4 ane rubbish is dumped this means leechate runs off in to special holding tanks at the bottom end of the valley and is sprayed over top again or disposed of safely if there is too much) now if they are complaining about cadmium , i ask them if they eat bluff oysters. they normally say yes i love them , then i tell them bluff oysters have so much cadmium in them they cant be exported. in short the mercury thing is a crock of #### as far as im concerned this goes for dental fillings as well. another thing is NZ fishmeal its too high in mercury to be used as animal feed or fish food here so most of our fishmeal is exported mainly to china where a lot of it is rolled up to lil balls and used to feed baby eels on eel farms. when u buy animal feed containing fishmeal or straight fishmeal here it will be imported from china with low mercury

bluff oysters are exported and i'll go with 'New Scientist' on this one sorry dude:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/enviro ... bulbs.html