whats with spilled skimmer and sumps ?

Dubbo

Heya, I've been reading up some stories of skimmers that spilled stuff onto carpet or sump pumps misbehaving and emptying water onto the carpet.

Could anyone tell me how it happens and how to prevent it ? shouldnt there be some auto-off function that would stop the skimmer if it's too full ? and I was told there were some pumps that would stop if the water in the sump becomes too full ?

People are probably talking about skimate bubbling out of the skimmer - its pretty smelly stuff! Better quality skimmers generally don't allow skimate to escape the collection chamber, but cheaper ones do - the lids simply bubble off.

As far as sumps and pumps go, it is generally the kind of plumbing feeding them that causes problems - particularly syphons. Well designed sumps use an overflow return instead - if the pump stops, the water level never rises sufficiently in the main tank to return water via the overflow. Better quality tanks also use secondary 'emergency' overflows in case the primary one get s blocked.

Caused by bad plumbing and bad design.

Fixed by good plumbing and good design.

For example I use glued pressure plumbing for everything. Some people say push fit is fine, blar blar, good on them, I sleep well because I spent and extra $100 on my plumbing at the start and KNOW it will never come loose in the night or while I'm at work.