Blue Ram Breeding Bonanza

Matt

I just thought I would post some pics of my Rams breeding in my community tank. I must have done something right because both pairs bred at once :P . I couldn't get any photos of the second pair as they were sneaky and bred on the back of a rock. I think they may have eaten their eggs now though as they aren't guarding the rock anymore. Fingers crossed for the second pair. Nothing can get within a square foot of their eggs, especially the Keyholes which get chased for three laps of the tank if they get too close :) .

RamsGuardingEggs.jpg

RamsGuardingEggs1.jpg

RamsGuardingEggs2.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

when you say blue rams are these also called bolivian rams or bolivian butterfly rams. If so can you give me any tips or point me towards a website with lots of info on breeding these as i am moving my platties out and the bolivian rams into my breeding tank.

cheers,

ps all i could see were the famous red x's

Hi Ballistic,

The rams i have are Microgeophagus Ramirezi they are called Blue or German Rams. IMO they are smaller and prettier than the Bolivian Rams.

I tried searching for webpages but couldn't find any with any decent info. My tank specs are 250l heavily planted, ph 5.5-6.0 (peat filtered), Temp 26C lit for 10 hours per day. I have been feeding frozen bloodworms twice a week and also frozen brine shrimp once a week to condition them, the rest of the time I feed flake and pellet food. I did nothing special to get them to breed, in fact I had just finished dosing for whitespot which both pairs were riddled with a couple of days before they layed eggs :-?

I don't know why the pics come through on my machine and not on everyone else's???

Anyway, here are the links to the pics:

http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/Ram ... ngEggs.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/Ram ... gEggs1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/Ram ... gEggs2.jpg

I am hoping to get hold of another tank soon to set up as a breeding tank for them. I don't have any other tanks at the moment so I will have to see how they go in the community tank first.

Goodluck Ballistic

Cheers,

Matt

I got the pics through no problems. I do like these fish lot. They are so colourful. i had no luck with a pair I bought but they didnt like the tank too much. My fault for not checking first. Ignorance on my part and I wont make the same mistake again. poor fish! :cry:

Best of luck with keeping them alive in a community tank. Maybe put a divider in the tank with them on one side and the other fish on the other side. I used this system once and it worked great. I didnt have too many fry go through the gaps and it didnt take long for them to grown up beyond eating size. Helps the other fish from getting hassled as well.