Cichlid7's new marine tank plans

cichlid7

So now i have decided not to use the 600L tank (too much work to do to get it through the door :( )

Now i am Going to use a new tank i just got

its 135cm Long x 60cm Wide x 51cm High ----> 410L

i am going to use 2 x 150w Metal Halide lights and a 2400Lph return pump for the sump.

I need to get more coral sand and rock (not sure how much more yet though)

That is about as far as i have got so far so any comments/suggestions would be great.

Thanks

:bounce:

It is an unwinnable debate - some prefer the benefits of the critters etc that live in the sand (especially if you want a pod eating fish like a Mandarin), others prefer the ease of cleaning. If you want to keep a Mandarin fish, you MUST have sand, otherwise whatever you prefer the look / sound / cost of :wink:

i like the look of sand :D

is it best to have the holes in the back of the tank at the top or on the bottom??

If you mean for the overflow, then the best method seems to be through the bottom, inside an overflow box = better surface skimming.

I've just upgraded and used new sand in my new setup. If you've got good cycled rock, the diatom algae is minimal if you use RODI water. I've had the new tank setup for 3 weeks, and diatoms are just disappearing now.

I too like the look of sand, so going bare ass wasn't an option for me. I've got 1 - 2 cm of sand.

if it was me I wouldn't worry about adding sand for 6 months or so. your rock etc will shed a lot of detritus for a few months and having no sand makes it a lot easier to remove.

I agree, I think the point suphew is trying to make is that regardless of if you like sand or not let the tank run for a bit first. By doing this you will find it easier to clean crap off the bottom. This would be a good idea if you don't no the rocks history.

The other option is cooking the rock.

Once this is done you can then debate the sand vrs bb issue :D and by the way bb is best :lol:

silly question do you need to cure/cycle the coral sand aswell

yes

Would it be best to leave it as a BB then and after a while add the sand is that what most people do??

thats what i'd recommend. personally i wouldnt cycle sand in the display tank again. why add even more unwanted nutrients while its cycling? best to do in a separate container with powerhead and heater, leave it in the dark, swish it around and change the water every few days. do that for a month or two (or until the smell goes away :D )

Would it be best to leave it as a BB then and after a while add the sand is that what most people do??

I would cycle the sand as well, you only need about 1 inch of sand.

This way the bactaria will grow on the sand and once cycles i would do a water change and clean some of the sand with a gravel cleaner.

No it's not what most people do, because most people insist they have to have sand from day one. But it's one of those things you learn after you have setup a few tanks and wish that you had done. People complain that they have diatom algae, green algae, green hair algae, cyno, it's all part of the long tank cycle, not having sand for the fist few months makes it far easier to keep the tank clean and skip or minimise these algae stages.

Sand vs Bare Ass is no different to the T5 vs MH saga. Theres no winner and never will be. Its all up to personal preference as to what you do.

As I've said, I like the look of substrate/sand, and will always have it with future tanks, especially because I keep fish & inverts which benefit from having a sandbed.

Theres no right or wrong answer to this one. You are going to end up in the same place no matter what road you take, so take the one that you feel comfortable taking, and deal with any problems that arise as they happen. Remember, patience is the key in this hobby :)

Sand vs Bare Ass is no different to the T5 vs MH saga. Theres no winner and never will be. Its all up to personal preference as to what you do.

As I've said, I like the look of substrate/sand, and will always have it with future tanks, especially because I keep fish & inverts which benefit from having a sandbed.

Theres no right or wrong answer to this one. You are going to end up in the same place no matter what road you take, so take the one that you feel comfortable taking, and deal with any problems that arise as they happen. Remember, patience is the key in this hobby :)

This has nothing to do with sand vs BB, maybe you should read the thread again.

oh and is the 2400lph pump enough??

Not an easy question to answer, it depends on the pump and how high it has to pump the water (head height) and the size of your sump/display.

You should be able to work out the approximate head height, distance from the top of the water in your sump to the top of the water in your display, plus a bit extra for the plumbing (pipe friction, bends, etc), then find a graph for you pump, it will tell you how much water the pump will pump to what head height.

You should pass about 5 times your display volume through your sump each hour. So will the pump do it?

Actually do it the other way round, work out the pump volume required then find a big enough pump.

Lastly the reason that sump size can also matter is because if you have a very small (or very large sump) compared to your display size you might have to re-think the 5 time per hour figure.