Heating our Fish Shed

Afrikan

We are now looking at heating our fish shed and getting rid of heaters... had a incident last week.. of which really took the cake... ended up with some over cooked fish... :evil: :( We have been looking at wanting to heat our fish shed for a while now... and getting rid of tank heaters.... and I thought I would ask around on the forums at peoples ideas on what heaters are the best to use... I have heard of people using oil heaters, fan heaters, heat pumps...

Would love peoples thoughts and feedback on what they think or what they have found works best....

Thanks in advance :D

I have seen oil heaters in use with good effect, and also fan heaters. I think that heat pumps would be the most efficient but would be a highly expensive outlay for a fish room - depending on the size.

What size is your room?

It is 4 metres long (maybe more) by 3 metres wide... approx and 2 metres to highest point. Domesticated female here so not so great with exact measurements :lol:

I am thinking fan heaters would throw and distribute the heat around the shed more wouldn't it? More so than oil heaters?

Provided I entered the details correctly consumer recommends a heatpump of approx 1kw output - I am not sure that they produce them at such a low rate. (I have assumed insulated room)

Uninsulated they recommend 2.2 kw

Yes a fan heater would circulate the heat more freely - although you can buy oil heaters with fans, also I would imagine that once the room is heated there would be minimal need to distribute the heat.

I am interested in what you decide. My garage is currently being built, and one of the first things I will do is build a fish room and plan to heat this. I am not sure which way I will go with heating, I was thinking that I would heat two large tanks with aquarium heaters and hoped that the room would be insulated enough to maintain heat around 2 degrees lower than the tank heating.

I had a purpose built fish house in a previous life. The most imprtant thing is to insulate the hell out of it. I then got a 2bar fan heater and wired it up so the fan went all the time and 1 bar (1kW) heater was wired through the thermostat. The heater hardly ever came on. The next thing is to get heaps of tanks and the water acts as a heat sink. When you open the door the hot air escapes but is easy to re heat. The heat is maintained in the water, so the more you have the better.

You could just use a desk fan to keep the air moving. I don't think a heat pump wouldn't be such a good idea, besides the huge expense of installing I think they also dehumidify, in a fish room it would suck the water right out of your tanks. Which raises another good point, don't forget to take the damp air into account when you build, paint, etc the room

Heat pumps do dehumidfy if they are set to do this.

I have a Fujitsu at home (so am basing my answer on this) - you can select for it to heat only so it won't dehumidfy.

However the dehumidifier function might be an advantage if you had an automatic water top up system :lol: plus you wouldn't need to be too concerned with damage to the room from humidity.

Hmmm - maybe a heatpump with auto top up is a good option

Hi there,

I havent much experience with this but another option is undertank heater wire.

You can hook this up to a digital switchey thing with temp control.

Run it under heaps of tanks.

It is realitively cheep to install and run (apparently) and reasonable safe.

You can have have banks of tanks at different temps so then it still gives indivduality.

Other options I have seen are oil heaters.

HTH

Navarre