changing light type in aquaone systems ?

Dubbo

Hi, I am wondering if it's possible to use different light tubes than what came with the aquaone systems ? I heard something along the line of it's not the same as conventional light bulbs and not adviced to use higher than what came with it ?

Ie: if my system came with 2x 18W compact, can I use a higher wattage ? and anyone know where to get higher wattage tubes for aquaone AR620T ?

hmmmm that's what I was afraid of, so with these aquaone systems, you can't actually get more WPG without putting in a new lighting system yourself. Most of them seen to have very low WPG standards.

My light tubes are just standard with the new set, dunno what K, but it says red/white on the bulb.

Can you even grow marine coral or light demanding plants with these tanks ? I know some plants and corals can grow in low light conditions, but that decreases what you can do with the tank by quite abit.

Hi, I am wondering if it's possible to use different light tubes than what came with the aquaone systems ? I heard something along the line of it's not the same as conventional light bulbs and not adviced to use higher than what came with it ?

Ie: if my system came with 2x 18W compact, can I use a higher wattage ? and anyone know where to get higher wattage tubes for aquaone AR620T ?

YES it is!

I have a ar620t and have installed higher wattage lights. I switched out my 18w lights and got new 24w ones. I checked my ballasts and they are rated up to 24w's. Have a look at yours, takes a bit of fiddling to get the cover unscrewed but it is worth it. I had heaps of plants growing nicely for a while after the light change.

When i put the new bulbs in i found that they would touch a bit. to solve this all you have to do is unscrew one side of the fitting and turn the fitting slightly so the lights run beside each other.

I will get some photos tonight to show you want i mean. I pick up my lights from my lfs, cost me an arm and a leg but i could not find them any where else down here. Might be able to fins them at an electrical wholesalers but the ones i went to said they didn't have them.

So here are some photos after struggling with my camera then with my computer. The bulbs are actually 7100k.

DSCF1714.jpg

Dont tank any notice of the big holes i drilled abouth the fittings. You dont need them but I didn't find out that till later. Just undo one side of the fitting and let it pivot on the other screw.

DSCF1716.jpg

You also need to move the metal clips as well but that is easy. Just unscrew them and drill a new hole then screw them back in.

DSCF1717.jpg

just out of interest I 've got the same problem

setting up my aqua one 620 and i want to change the tubes

what brand of lights did you get for how much?

so 24W, 6700k ones that fit into the original lighthood? wow :bounce: :bounce:

I can not remember the cost but i think i have the box at home still so will have a look tonight for you.

where did you guys get the bulbs from? one of mine has died and fish shop wants to charge me 35 bucks for a new one, but if i could get a 7000ish 24W....

I caved and got mine from the petshop for $35 each :cry:

Go into a wholesale electrical store and ask them to track some down, be very specific and take a bulb into show them what type you want.