Bubba Sen!

Foxjxa

I finally got my little baby Senegal! (2 days late!)

I have NO idea what sex it is, but I vary between calling it a he and she. I'm a little unsure as to what variation it is, though, as it's fine are clearly yellow, but it's eyes are pink - so whether it's just a weird albino or not is up for debate. The pic doesn't show it very well but here's my bubba:

2illj0z.jpg

It should be noted that within minutes of being released into my tank, the little devil found some leftover food at the bottom and immediately tried to scoff the whole thing - only to find it was too big to swallow!

Note to self: Cut pellets in half.

I also picked up my Choc Talking Catfish and Whiptail Catfish, the latter of which has since disappeared into the jungle of plants. :o

So that brightened my otherwise crappy day. :D YAY!

It was sold to Animates as a Platinum Sen, so I am very disappointed in them. :( But it was still much cheaper than... the other place, so I didn't kick up too much of a fuss. I got given free stuff instead. :D

She's already so friendly - although that may be food-related, she eats like a machine! I think I'm going to have to de-plant the tank as she gets bigger though, she's small enough now to squeeze between plants but I can see that in a few months she'll uproot them all by accident!

Or I could just get another tank. 8)

Sounds like when I got my little palmas. I dropped in what I though was a small enough piece of beef heart and he grabbed it straight away, couldn't swallow it and wouldn't spit it out, so he swam around with it in his mouth for about an hour until I netted him and removed it!!

They're cool fish, addictive even!

She really is addictive! And very much the evil dragon. :D The way they swim is almost hypnotic - or maybe that's just mine trying to avoid the grass...

I've decided to fill the 5ft gap in my bedroom with a long tank for her and then get her a friend or two. Now I just have to save up to buy another tank. lol!

I've decided to fill the 5ft gap in my bedroom with a long tank for her and then get her a friend or two. Now I just have to save up to buy another tank. lol!

Heh.. Empty wall, not a problem, its now a feature wall to capture everyone's eyes for aaages :P

Very nice looking fishy :bow::bow:

Ah, had to look up on the internet...so its a bichir, right?

If your other new family members come out of hiding post pics!

A.Prophecy wrote:

the platniums are just albinos

I was wondering what the difference was...so from what you are saying there is none???

Caper

dont think there is a difference in new zealand.

theres the normal grey ones, and then the albino ones.

over seas, other than the 2 mentioned above, then have white and yellow ones with black eyes, and they are either called platinum or golden senegals.

feel free to correct me if im wrong

Update: (Because I'm too wrapped with him not to share!)

She/He has settled in well, definately the most friendly fish in the tank - but only in the mornings and evenings. :D She's actually quite snobby the rest of the time and seems to give me the evil eye when I stop feeding her.

She also likes to sit with her head in a tiny pot and the rest of her body sticking out and have what I can only assume is a catnap. :lol:

The kitten is most pleased with the latest addition. 8)

I'm not sure about this whole "golden" think. To me that one on trademe just looks like a pale [or badly photographed] normal senegal. The albino ones are a yellowish pink colour with pink eyes, the platinum ones are nearly white (and not pinkish) with black eyes, and the normal ones are dark to pale grey with yellowish bellies and black eyes.

I've never seen anyone use the term "golden" outside of this site, so I'm guessing its just a term made up by a local importer/wholesaler trying to make his fish sound more interesting... :roll: