Finally.. Blue ram x long fin gold ram spawn..

ryanjury

After loosing all my golds I was only left with the best long fin male.. So I got some blue ram's and he has finally paired with a female and they have laid.. I am hoping to produce some more golds long finned golds and hopefully long finned blues from these 2 and their offspring..

Only time will tell if I can actually raise the babies!

Heres some pics..

DSC051711600x1200.jpg

DSC051621600x1200.jpg

DSC051531600x1200.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol well im stealing the eggs soon.. Theres too many fish in that tank for them to have any chance hopefully I have some luck this time..

Makhaela once I get some raised ill make sure I get some to you so that when I kill them all you have back up lol

Would you breed a red with a blue strain of guppy? Or a blue discus with a red one?

Gold rams are just a random colour variety bred out of blue's so no hybrids are created :) Chances are all of their babies will turn out blue but carry the gold gene (unless the female is also a gold carrier).. And I will have to breed back to get the gold to come out..

I'm sure you know that I am very against hybrid fish being created and/or sold.. If anything random occurs with this I will get rid of all the babies and breed the blues true.

Oh no worries, was juss wondering. :)

As I said, Congrats. :)

(FYI) No I wouldnt purposly breed one colour against another, but if it had happen, then watever. :):o

If your left with one fish that you want to continue or develop sometimes you have no other option but to cross it with other colours and cross back its called line breeding :)

livingart I am hoping they will be stronger have had a nightmare keeping them alive.. I am thinking if the gold gene is recessive then all of the spawn will be blues but gold carriers? And I need to cross one of these back to the dad or 2 of these together to get any golds at all?

LOL that is assuming I can raise any babies..

as Clint Eastwood would say

"you just have to ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky"

if it is recessive you may have to try more than one female if they are blues

when doing colour varieties is always best for the strain to bring a normal back in every couple of generations, makes the line stronger

or if you can start with 2 lines with unrelated out crosses to further strengthen the strain

good luck and may at least half the babies be golds

lol me too :)

Livingart, I would be happy just to raise this batch, I have 4 spawns between the gold pairs that I had but didn't raise one baby, they always hatched but died soon after, then I lost them all except for the male that is breeding.. I don't know if they are weaker and harder to raise or if I just screwed up every time.. Only time will tell I guess they are in a bowl in the heated fishroom with an airstone and meth blue, this male has had egg's hatch before so there shouldn't be any fertility issues..

I am hoping to get some golds in the first batch lol but like you said its all luck and at the very least maybe ill produce some nice strong blues that are gold gene carriers :)

Mitzy good luck with yours! What did you do wrong with your spawn?

IMO

when breeding colour varieties they usually start off with one or a few arriving in a batch from a normal pair

to then fix the colour, line breeding to both parents or putting siblings together usually occurs

a new colour most times commands a better price so usually these lines become a "closed line" to keep the colour coming through

fry can be difficult to raise already without including weaknesses from continued inbreeding as well

imported fish may have all come from the same breeder and even from the same batch, so usually we start off from an already inbred line

so if your fry work out you should have a nice strong line of gold rams in nz

good luck

I would call them long fin, I haven't seen a ram like this before.. But I haven't seen everything, the tail is also long and flowing kind of jagged not just extended top and bottom..

The eggs made it through the night with none fungusing.. So thats a good start..

I believe that is how it goes too Livingart, if they get a random colour or trait they inbreed the crap out of them until it gets pure, thats got to make them somewhat weaker.. I also managed to get some awesome cockatoo's off a very good local breeder who crossed them back to wild they're colouring up nicely so hoping they are pretty hardy :)

if it is recessive you may have to try more than one female if they are blues

if the gold mutation is recessive and the blue female carries only blue genes then all of the offspring will look blue, however all will carry the recessive gold gene.

so if any these are breed back to the father you should get an average of 50% golds and 50% blues(also carring the gold gene but not showing it).

the other option would be to breed the offspring with each other which should give you 25% golds on average.

things get a bit more complex in this situation because you have two different mutations, colour and fin length, that you are dealing with.

can you get long fin blues?

if not then it is likely that mutation is a result of the high level of inbreeding in the golds. It may also be the same case for gold balloon rams, i have never seen a balloon blue ram.

but i haven't even scratched the surface yet

can you get long fin blues?

if not then it is likely that mutation is a result of the high level of inbreeding in the golds. It may also be the same case for gold balloon rams, i have never seen a balloon blue ram.

but i haven't even scratched the surface yet

Start of last year i was seeing balloon blues everywhere and no golds, then the blues went and the golds came. And someone on these forums had some longfin blues once.

if the gold mutation is recessive and the blue female carries only blue genes then all of the offspring will look blue, however all will carry the recessive gold gene.

so if any these are breed back to the father you should get an average of 50% golds and 50% blues(also carring the gold gene but not showing it).

the other option would be to breed the offspring with each other which should give you 25% golds on average.

things get a bit more complex in this situation because you have two different mutations, colour and fin length, that you are dealing with.

That was my understanding on the whole thing :) Heres hoping the male stays alive long enough to be bred back to!

I am hoping that having a gold longfin will eventually produce blue longfins as well but I am unsure where it comes from and how it occurs geneitically. At the very least im hoping to breed some nice blue rams that might produce some gold babies :)