Identify Green bubbles

Gibbo

Hi,

I have a couple pieces of coral rock in the tank which have developed a number of green bubble like attachments. These are hard to the touch and I would almost describe these as hard air bubbles.

Any Ideas? I notcied 2 a few weeks ago and I now have quite a few on that rock and a couple have appeared on the rock next to it.

I have tried to get photos, but can not get a clear shot at them.

I find the Xtalreef hitchhiker FAQ page to be handy in ID'ing stuff.

My advice if it is bubble algae is manual removal of them.

If possible remove the affected piece of live rock into another container of tank water and "ping" the bubble algae off with a little flathead screwdriver. Then when you are happy you have removed them return the live rock to the tank.

If you can't remove the live rock, then you can do it in tank. "Ping" them off, trying not to pop them and pick them out as the float around.

Hope that helps

i doubt it.

cool, so explain to me how in my system, there is not a trace of valonia in the display tank yet in the refugium its become riddled with valonia now that the bulbs are getting yellow? same volume of water - same level of nutrients.

as the bulbs age, the kelvin reduces. algae prefer a lower kelvin, around the 7k mark. this is about the kelvin level of sunlight. aim for 10k or higher, preferably 14k. ensure your bulbs are not too old and still retain there intensity. same thing happened when i had T8's, as the lighting aged valonia started growing hard out. i removed the rock and scraped them and they came back. did the same, next time replacing the bulbs and no growth.

cool, so explain to me how in my system, there is not a trace of valonia in the display tank yet in the refugium its become riddled with valonia now that the bulbs are getting yellow? same volume of water - same level of nutrients.

There could be hundred of reasons why you have valonia growing in your sump and maybe it could be the bulbs as they change spectrum as they get old, and new bulbs can also cause algae growth as they bring out the problems in poor water quality.

However to say that the culprit is the bulbs is highly unlikly in this thread.

So if i put old bulbs in my tank i will then end up with valonia? i think not, but if i have poor water quality then yes it will cause the valonia to spread in my tank.

you will get all sorts of bad algae with poor water quality. all im saying is valonia seem to flourish under poor lighting.

need to know more info about your tank gibbo, what lighting, age of bulbs, what levels of nitrate/phosphates, flow? etc

friend of mine had perfect water but heaps of bubble algae, some as big as an eyeball! no other algae. he also had great lighting. one of his new tangs finally ate it and now its gone. i reckon it depends on many factors interacting and its impossible to "blame" one single reason.

i have bubble in my overflow but stopped worrying about it. i guess something (tang) in my tank eats it but have no clue which one.