TANK BUILD: Native Riffle (fast flowing) Tank

Stella

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure you want to say this. They may see it and decide to add it to their list of protected wildlife so that you cant keep them. :wink:

I used to worry about that, but DOC was very helpful with sorting out the wording of the legalities for my book, so I take that as a sign that they don't have issue with it ;)

There are probably too many issues for them to fully protect native freshwater fish. The top three (in no particular order) being:

1: Maori customary use

2: Trout food

3: Whitebaiting

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm,

Quite the how to do about keeping native freshwater fish. Well done Stella, you handled all that flak extremely well. Pity your opposition didnt do more thorough research before going in boots and all.

Obviously the opposition has very little knowledge of the Native Freshwater Fish Society and what it accomplished during the 15 years it existed. 1990/2005 . Having been involved with them from the out set I can sincerely say. Hypocrites, far from it.

Go for it Stella.

Woody

• 2 years later...

Nice river tank stella. Have used a few simialar in my fish room.

Have you tried plumbing the intakes for the pumps to the other end of the tank with irrigation tubing, works great but clogs up after a while.

There is a great video on YouTube of a guy who made a river tank for his clown loaches by putting a central divider down the middle then setting up pumps to rotate the water around the tank in a race track oval pattern, looks really impressive, have allways wanted to try it for a xingu tank for my plecs... maybe one day...

An update on my natives in case anyone is interested.

The shrimps in my plant tubs are still all heading down stream each week, each time i do a water change (weekly) i redistribute them all and by next weekend they are all gathered in the down stream tub, numbers have dropped by about half over 4 monthes, been a hot summer here in CHCH.

The whitebait and silveries I dropped into my LFS are still going strong in the goldfish tanks, whitebait is staring to take on a less whitebait look. Shrimps in there are doing ok too. I very surprised the silveries are still ok, thought they were difficult to aclimitise / feed but they are doing great.

Shrimps in my display tank seem to have dissapeared, i got busy over xmas and lost track of them, might have gotten to hot in the tank in the hot weather.

Might try and fit in another collecting trip inbetween trying to catch a few more salmon for the freezer.

Sadly no. I had a major disaster last year and all the inhabitants died :( It was pretty horrible :tears:

In a way it was useful, as I just didn't have enough time to keep up with all the tanks, but I still miss the torries and shortjaws.

FuglyDragon - impressive flow in that tank!

I haven't tried anything with tubing to draw water from the far end. The problem with this system is every bend and length of tubing slows the water down. Also I imagine it wouldn't have a huge effect on reducing swirl. Then again I haven't tried it.

I don't think swirl is a huge problem for the fish, as it gives them places of varying current so they can choose where they want to be.

It was a shame with the riffle tank that the pumps increased the temperature so much (7*C in winter!) so I couldn't have the pumps on over summer.

It does work well, just expensive to run when you are a student with minimal income...

It needs to be on much of the time during this sort of heat. Problem is once you turn it off the heat leaches in from everywhere and it quickly gets hot again.

I also have silver insulation paper that they use as underfloor insulation taped to the windows in that room. Coupled with the fluorescent lights I am surprised I haven't been searched for suspected drug-growing, but it reflects out the sun well and helps keep the room slightly cooler.

edit: a friend installed an air cond system in his fishroom. Living up in auckland and with the number of tanks he had it was necessary. Worked brilliantly.

Im using one but my room isnt insulated, guessing if it was the whole room temp would drop considerably.

Anyway with it pointing directly on two 4' tanks, it keeps them at 16-20C while the rest of the room has been creeping upto 30C. Would be 35-40C without air con in there. So working well here, may try find some cheap insulation though as I can see the power bill going for a hike.

Better than a chiller if you can cool the tanks and the room :P 30C inside 28C out here and so muggy today, glad the fish are happy though lol

• 4 months later...