Some of my babies!

Adrienne

My 8 week old ct's - the mothers were sisters, one father was a double ray and the other a single ray hence the two different tail types.

young male

youngmalect.jpg

young females

youngfemalect2-1.jpg

youngfemalect1-1.jpg

and a couple of shots of my 6 week old yellows. Mum was ct but I don't think that dad had any in him.

youngyellow2.jpg

youngyellow.jpg

Nice work adodge :bounce:

The 8 weeks are looking a great size for there age!

I have some around the same age but are a bit behind as I haven't had the space for another grow out tank :x I'm sure they'll catch up in time.

They look awesome. I can't wait until mine are that size and I can see what they'll look like. Can't you just give the unwanted ones to your lfs or something or do you have to cull them?

I should have said above that I will cull some of them in about 3 weeks.

I don't cull them because they are not pretty - in all spawns of fighters and more so in larger spawns there are a certain number of young fish that do not grow or grow incredibly slowly. In the wild these are the young that do not survive or are eaten by the bigger fish in their spawn. Its known as survival of the fittest.

I have already split this spawn into two 70 litre tanks to allow the smaller ones more access to their ready supply of food.

Those that remain really tiny after about 9 weeks of age will become part of the food chain.

• 2 weeks later...

now 10 weeks

a couple of the males, my biggest dark red wouldn't come to the front of the tank and pose, he's in a bigger tank sharing with two other males (divided tank that is)

10weekoldmalect.jpg

10weekoldmalect2.jpg

and my 8 week old yellows - some of the males, pictures taken through the tank glass and blue fighter holders.

yellowmale8june.jpg

yellowmale28june.jpg

yellowmale38june.jpg

looks like a reasonably even split between males and females.

He's fairly similar to his father in colouring but body is more marbled (Dad had cambodian in him). Not my favourite sort of colourings unfortunately but he's still rather nice none the less, has single ray tips on his tail which hopefully will develop more.

Its an interesting range of colours I'm getting from these. The mothers were full sisters, the fathers unrelated - one an import and the other from my breedings.

I once saw a picture of a really nice picture of a black and white marble that was really nice. I didn't use to like them but they've started to grow on me.

• 3 weeks later...