Chimeras Tank Build (Sump room, new tank etc)

chimera

Thanks Chimera

I guess the control gear is the same for T5 & T8 so I can do a bit of experimenting once I get things going.

Mine is starting off as cold marine so T8 may be OK

I am just about to start on the construction of the light box so may try and design to allow for MH lights in future

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The control gear is different, the wattages are different and I think the starters will be differend as well. Also the tube length (T5 3 foot tubes are actually about an inch shorter than 3 foot) and contacts. So simply put, no you cant put in T8 fittings then swap the bulbs later.

A point from chim's post that maybe wasn't clear is that most of what he was saying relates to the same wattage, i.e. lumin output per watt is similar but a 3 foot T5 is 39 watts, where as a 3 foot T8 is 30 watts so almost 25% less light

Pies uses 5 foot T5 tubes, he got his last lot from Reef so you could try him, only other option I know of is de lighting in Singapore, theres a thread in the commercial section. He does good prices on lighting kits too, reflectors, ballasts, water proof end caps.

Some updated pic's of corals - showing older ones to compare. None have been colour enhanced, only cropped and sharpened. some photo's are a bit crap. unfortunately there are some differences that could change the nature of the photos, eg: different W & K for lighting, different camera settings (never made note of what the camera was set too) and relocated corals.

I've still got to put T5 lighting over the tank too - I believe this will make a significant difference on growth patterns. i would also get significantly more symmetrical growth if i had a 4th 150W halide and had them spaced further out (monti cap below is a classic example)

Lots of corals still got some coloring up to do :( but getting there :D I really believe if I take all my sand out they will colour up twice as fast.

---------------

aug 05

acro1-050830.jpg

oct 05

acro1-051003.jpg

feb 06

acro1-060212.jpg

---------------

sep 05

acro2-050830.jpg

feb 06

acro2-060212.jpg

---------------

apr 05

bluecoral-050412.jpg

jul 05

bluecoral-050711.jpg

feb 06 (classic example here of camera settings, does not look anywhere near this brown in the tank, looks more like the earlier shots)

bluecoral-060212.jpg

--------------

aug 05

milleporafrag-050830.jpg

oct 05

milleporafrag-051003.jpg

feb 06 (not sure how well the 'parent' branch will eventually hold the weight of this milli?!)

milleporafrag-060212.jpg

---------------

oct 05 (this hydno's growth has slowed down somewhat - and im quite glad it has because it grew incredibly quickly to start with)

hydnophora-051003.jpg

feb 06

hydnophora-060212.jpg

---------------

apr 05

leftsidetopfrags-050403.jpg

feb 06 (note how the direction of the blue coral has changed since the monti has sheltered it. also note lack of growth on left side of monti where there is no direct halide lighting)

leftsidetopfrags-060212.jpg

---------------

(this one is interesting. it showed absolutely no colour for months and months. all of a sudden, the tips (where light is the darkest) have started to go bright green. i have a feeling it might be a tri-colour)

mar 05

pinkacro-050302.jpg

pinkacro-060212.jpg

---------------

right side/middle acro's

aug 05

rightsideacros-050830.jpg

feb 06 (note how the staghorn is growing like a frickin' weed at the front!!! might snap it and replace near the back of the tank soon)

rightsideacros-060212.jpg

---------------

heres a purple acro i dont have any before shots of but starting to colour up nicely

purpleacro-lefttable-060212.jpg

---------------

and lastly a little stylophora frag i got from stevea (cheers dude, awesome frag), pissed off coz i knocked a branch off the frag in the middle. i know, it'll grow back... :D

stylophora-right-060212.jpg

decided to do a little experiment with the piece that broke off so chucked it right in the middle of a monti cap (which i really want to get rid of but it's encrusted the most part of a rock) i'll manually intervene if it starts killing the stylo off :D

stylophora-left-060212.jpg

Things are growing well; getting colours come with experience as there is a bit more to it then just adding additives.

I had the same problem when I started due to lack of information.

I also note that some of those acros are hard to colour up anyway, especially some of the purple type.

It looks like you still have nutrients in the tank as the rocks look like they have some algae on them.

Lack of light will also stop acropora from colouring up. Your lights look dim, (do you still use the narva bulbs)have you looked at getting bulbs with more par, like blv 14ks. or Xms. They are really bright and might help with colour.

In saying all that cracker has 20ks and his acros are really colourful, so it could be a combination of many things.

cheers. yeah nutrients highly likely causing unwanted algae, either that or excessive iron from zeovit :D gut feeling is its leaching from the sand bed though. i think that because acros are showing signs of colouring, then its just a matter of time before nutrients drop low enough. addition of t5's will certainly help.

im not adding anything except drip feeding calcium carbonate from the reactor. other than that filtration is ap902 skimmer, zeovit, fluidised rowaphos reactor, carbon and of course LR.

the only thing that gets me is seeing others tanks that have been setup for a shorter period of time and getting better colours. trying to work out what im doing wrong (or might simply be what im not doing) im a advocate of learning by experience though so not too fussed :D addition of t5's shortly may help - but in saying that someone like cookie has few lights and good colours. then again, not every tank is the same. one step at a time!

Glad to see the picture of your clam, I have one the same which I got at the same time, I have been worried about mine because the shell is growing so fast (more than doubled in size) but the mantel isn't as extended anywhere near as far as other I have seen. Now I see yours is the same I guess it is just the type.

......decided to do a little experiment with the piece that broke off so chucked it right in the middle of a monti cap (which i really want to get rid of but it's encrusted the most part of a rock) i'll manually intervene if it starts killing the stylo off :D

The Stylophora will loose against an Acro, not sure about a Monti.

When I finally get my new camera I am thinking of experimenting with a blue flash (blue filter on flash actually) to see if I can get the flash light to match the tank's lighting and preserve the colours, which tend to wash out with a normal flash.

Good pics anyway.

Does your clam stay in one place? My one keeps moving and has covered over 40cm since I put it in. It seems to be moving towards the higher current area.

Steve

mine hasn't moved an inch! mind you the tank has about 70 times turnover i'd imagine its pretty happy.

The Stylophora will loose against an Acro, not sure about a Monti

if thats the case its highly likely to lose against the monti. any ideas on the best way to kill the monti off that rock? nuke it with kalk paste? i'll manually break it down where possible but as ya know it takes the tiniest slither of a frag to continue growing.

• 2 years later...

Casting a spell and conjuring up the dead here,... might as well add to the end of this... its only been 2 years and 3 months since an update :D Had 3 tank crashes since :-? largest visual change other than aquascaping was stripping the blue background and changing to black. best change i've done thus far IMO.

from this layout/colour as at sept 2006 (tank crashed a month later)

tankfull-060918.jpg

to this as at may 2008:

20080513-tankfull-black.jpg

Very nice. It looked pretty good in the first picture also but all those lps's in the 2nd picture add another dimension to the tank.

The other surprise was all those user names in the previous pages that i hardly remember!