Individuals Pleco Collections...

Afrikan

Ok guys, here is the thread, will transfer whatever lists that are on the other thread to here...

Fire away and list your bristly lot :D :lol:

Common name:

Scientific Name:

L number

Male #'s

Female #'s

Successfully bred Y/N

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far:

The cONCh's lot:

Can I just give you a link to mine on PlanetCatfish? Some of the aquisition dates are guesses - I've had them a long time and didn't really take note of exactly when I bought them:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/my_cats.php?username=tHEcONCH&task=keeper

Wave your mouse over the names and a picture should appear.

natscat lot:

Common name: Sunshine

Scientific Name: Scobinancistrus aureatus

L number: 14

Male #'s: Not sure

Female #'s: Not sure

Successfully bred: N

Common name: Scarlet

Scientific Name: Pseudacanthicus sp.

L number : 25

Successfully bred: No

Common name: Mango

Scientific Name: Baryancistrus sp.

L number: 47

Common name: Maccus

Scientific Name: Panaque maccus

L number: 104, 162, LDA22

Male #'s: 1

Female #'s: 0

Common name: Dull-eyed Royal

Scientific Name: Panaque sp.

L number: 191

Common name: Green Phantom (HF)

Scientific Name: Baryancistrus demantoides

L number: 200

Male #'s:

Female #'s: 2

Successfully bred:

Common name: Titanic Panaque

Scientific Name: Panaque sp.

L number: 203

Common name: Blue fin Panaque

Scientific Name: Ancistrini sp.

L number: 239

Male #'s: 1 (I think)

Female #'s: 1 (I think)

Common name: Butterfly

Scientific Name: Dekeyseria brachyura

L number: 168

Male #'s: 0

Female #'s: 1

Common name: Tapajos Royal Pleco

Scientific Name: Panaque sp. cf. nigrolineatus`tapajos`

L number: 27

Common name: Queen Arabesque

Scientific Name: Hypancistrus sp.

L number: 260

1 x Albino Gibby and some GBA’s

Simian's lot:

Common name:Common Ancistris

Scientific Name:Ancistrus sp. (3)

L number:

Male #'s: 2

Female #'s: 6

Juvie #'s: 50ish

Successfully bred:y

Common name:GBA

L number:

Female #'s: 1

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/my_c ... ask=keeper

There are of course collectors/breeders out there who have no intention of listing what they have and that is to be respected.

And unfortunately some of them have got the plecs we would all die for.

Maybe start a register people can add their name too.

Or a 'sticky' in the catfish section so This is in peoples faces.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/my_cats.php?username=firenzenz&task=keeper

There are of course collectors/breeders out there who have no intention of listing what they have and that is to be respected.

And unfortunately some of them have got the plecs we would all die for.

Maybe start a register people can add their name too.

Or a 'sticky' in the catfish section so This is in peoples faces.

You cant force anyone to list them, but it would be a shame to lose a species iin NZ when "bob" in Dunedin has a male and "jane' in Invercargil has a female, both grow old and die, and little did we know they were the last 2. This is something I think that will happen more and more as natural habitats dwindle, it is the same reason that Zoos have exchange programs going. It keeps the blood lines clean and ensures the continuation of the species.

We can only try to do this and hope that people can see the long term benefit clear enough to put aside petty rivalry and share their knowledge and resource.

You cant force anyone to list them, but it would be a shame to lose a species iin NZ when "bob" in Dunedin has a male and "jane' in Invercargil has a female, both grow old and die, and little did we know they were the last 2. This is something I think that will happen more and more as natural habitats dwindle, it is the same reason that Zoos have exchange programs going. It keeps the blood lines clean and ensures the continuation of the species.

We can only try to do this and hope that people can see the long term benefit clear enough to put aside petty rivalry and share their knowledge and resource.

Agreed with all fish we should be straight up and tell everyone what we have and what were looking for or else we may just loose species, it appears everyone with rare or sourt after fish have some sort of complex..

I fully agree with ya Ryan.

I don’t believe it’s a case of big noting yourself or hiding what you have, but you have that right of course, it’s more what we could potentially achieve by banding together to come up with a constructive plan for the present/future.

Come on guys/girls don’t be shy. I wasn’t going to publish any of ours of this forum but it’s for a good cause.

Cheers

Breeding aside - I would love to know what people have so that if I saw one for sale I would know who to ask if it was the 'real deal'.

I would love to get a few really nice ones for my tank but don't want to buy one thing and find out its something else.

From what I understand its mostly males that come into the country anyway so if anyone is lucky enough to have a female they should announce it out loud :D

Thats why I thought a permanent sticky at the top the catfish page would help, because this topic will drift down the page and out of view and will probably be missed by less frequent visitors to the site- the "Bobs and Janes".

Let the topic hang around and build an environment where peolpe are encouraged and enthused by such an idea

Of particular interest at the moment are Hypancistrus species because we are unlikely to see this genus again.

we need female L260, and L66 as appears that there are plenty of males.

We have here-L46, L270, L102, L260, L66, L333, L400, L136

Anyone got one, or another Hypan we missed.

Y/N will do -don't need further info.

Adodge- any imported plec old enough to sex is most likely to be male.

So with juvi fish your chances greatly increase. The importers are buying the large ones as they are the same price or cheaper from supplier, because they are ID'd male..

End result -a adult L# will retail for the same price a 2cm juvi, but only one has a chance of being female

Mr Pleco - I do agree that asking questions is what this is for and you were a great help last week when I was asking about an auction. In the end I didn't do anything as I couldn't find out if they would hold it for a couple of weeks.

Its alright when people can see pics but when they are in the lfs and you want to know if its the real deal its not quite so easy. I wouldn't feel right asking if someone could pop down to have a look and say what they think. :roll:

i totally agree with you adodge but just because i own an L18 gold nugget dosent mean the one at the LFs is one

but if you started a thread like "thinking of owning a L18 " id be able to tell you of my experiences with them and like wise other ppl that own them

but having all of my plecs listed here dosent help you anymore than the above question

see my point

As for having jane and barry owning a pair but three thousand miles apart i think if jane or barry wanted to breed them they would post a WTB in the private exchange and the other would reply if so in mind

As for me i pretty much know of who the pleco ppl are in here and ask them if im in the hunt for one or post in the private exchange forum

dont see why this needs to change,except to maybe satisfy someone elses curiosity

As for me i pretty much know of who the pleco ppl are in here and ask them if im in the hunt for one or post in the private exchange forum

dont see why this needs to change,except to maybe satisfy someone elses curiosity

That is of little help to people who are new to or not active in "The Community"

I myself am relatively new to keeping fish, and certainly am not involved in "the old boys network". for all anyone here knows I may have in my garage a whole swag of fancy Plecos, with no idea that they are rare or that there are very few females of that type around.

We are now like it or not in a closed loop with regards to many fancy plecos.

Certain fish will only become rarer or more inbred because it will be the same old people who will be carrying on the bloodlines, the whole idea of creating a very simple reference list of who has what will allow people who are successfully breeding them to add new blood their lines to avoid the deterioration of a species.

"Oh hey Bob I see you have a mature male L18, how would you feel about an exchange, I am at the second or third generation and want to inject some new blood where did you get yours from?"

Where is the harm in that?

I cannot understand how secrecy will benefit the hobby, just last week an experienced fish keeper lost most of his collection due to a plug getting knocked out of the wall. It is so easy to lose an entire blood line in this game, I would hope that the "old boys" would be more willing to participate in the continuation of our mutual passion.

No doubt this will upset many of the old school fish keepers with me stirring up these issues, but I am also hearing from a lot people who agree with what I have to say.

We very much need your help Mr Pleco and the silent others or my kids will only be able to look at the pictures of these great fish in books

Rant Ends

Common name:Common Ancistris

L number:

Male #'s: 3

Female #'s: 4

Common name:GBA

L number:

Female #'s: 2

Juvie #'s: 8

Common name: Gold Spot

Scientific Name:Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus

L number: L001

Male #'s: Not sure (only have 1)

Successfully bred: No

• 2 months later...

Ok, here's the list of my beauties that I use to own when I lived in Canada, unfortunately I had to give them all up when I relocated....

Common name:Polka Dot Lyre Tail Pleco (2 Black, 1 Albino)

Scientific Name:Acanthicus adonis

L number:

Male #'s: Unknown

Female #'s: 1 & Unknown

Successfully bred:N

Common name:Goldie Pleco, Sunshine Pleco

Scientific Name:Scobinancistrus aureatus

L number:L014

Female #'s: Unknown

Common name:Snowball Pleco

Scientific Name:Hypancistrus inspector

L number:L102

Common name:Whiptail Catfish

Scientific Name:Rineloricaria fallax

L number:

Common name:Galaxy Pleco, Tusken Pleco, Vampire Pleco

Scientific Name:Leporacanthicus cf. galaxias

L number:L007

Common name:Queen Arabesque Pleco

Scientific Name:Hypancistrus sp.

L number:L260

Female #'s:0

Common name:Gold Stripe Panaque

Scientific Name:Panaque sp.

L number:L169

Common name:Albino Pleco, Common Pleco

Scientific Name:Pterygoplichthys pardalis

L number:L021, L023

It's possible I may have missed some from my old collection

And what I currently have in my first tank since my move...

Common name:Bristlenose Catfish

L number:

I am wanting to start collecting some more of the rarer types once my larger tanks are set up again.

Dixon1990 - As I understood it, the purpose is for people with actual hands on knowledge of the different types of plecos, hence why I listed my old collection and as a collection I no longer have so no confusion. If I'm wrong in assuming this I'm sorry, my mistake and I'll delete the list if need be. However I am hoping to replace my old collection with the alot of the ones I use to have if able to.

no catfish, yr fine ,nice collection you had by the way ,some of those numbers you wont find in NZ well not many anyway dont worry bout Dixon i think he gets a rush of blood to head sometimes esp when it comes to GBA crossed with BN :o

hopefully you can return to some fancy plecos stocks soon and share yr knowledge on them