Brazil's Pleco ban

firenzenz

Has you are probably aware Brazil is taking action in the protection of many of it plecs in the form of an Exportation ban.

There still seems no real idea of which fish will be affected but more than just a few it would seem.

This list of species has been put forward on another plec forum.

L-2, L-74 L-168 L-328

L-4, L-5, L-28, L-73 L-171 L-332

L-10 L-174 L-333

L-11, L-35, L-108, L-136 L-172 L-345

L-16 L-175 L-347

L-17 L-178 L-353

L-20 L-179 L-354

L-21, L-23 L-185 L-360

L-24 L-186 L-361

L-25 L-197 L-363

L-27 L-198 L-365

L-30 L-216 L-366

L-31, L-176, L-300 L-208 L-367

L-33 L-210 L-373

L-36 L-217 L-374

L-46 L-221 L-375

L-50 L-223 L-380

L-53 L-238 L-381

L-56 L-250 L-383

L-58 L-251 L-385

L-63 L-254 L-391

L-64 L-256, L-258, L-259 L-397

L-65 L-260 L-398

L-66 L-262 L-399

L-67 L-263 L-400

L-68 L-270, L-307

L-69 L-271

L-70 L-272

L-77 L-273

L-79 L-275

L-82 L-283

L-83, L-165, L-196 L-290

L-86 (LDA-14) L-294

L-95 L-296

L-96, L-160 L-297

L-97 L-299

L-102 L-310

L-113 L-313

L-136 L-315

L-137 L-318

L-138 L-320

L-139 L-321

L-143 L-337

L-155 L-343

In a way it is really great and in another it is stupid.

You do realise that when the “ban†is finalized, prices will rise drastically and us (NZ) being down in this part of the world will not have the access to a many of the wonderful fishes we once had.

On another note, in some ways I feel sorry for the farmers in South America cause this is their bread and butter and being told that they have to stop doing it would be devastating.

My two cents.

Cheers

I share the same views that the "natural population is safe" but this is a trade people are not going to suddenly stop buying them. It will be like everything else rape and pillage it until there is nothing left.

They should have adopted a more proactive approach many many years ago by controlling the amount of fish/es that were being exported and or farmed.

I just hate the thought of black market poaches getting their hands on these little beauties full stop.

I've tried to get some further info through the 'Ibama' site, but couldn't find much that wasn't Portuguese.

It would seem the ban is already in effect. It has started as pretty much a blanket ban, hoping this crackdown will sort out a lot of other issues as certain fish incorrectly ID'd or claimed to be of another genus. So the final list could end up being everything.

I agree that these fish and their environment need protection. I hope this happens and this limitation on exported stock helps. There are still issues of blackmarketing and smuggling through neighbouring borders that need to be addressed, this latest move will probably increase this activity as while there is demand there will be supply.

Also one of the biggest threats to the plecs and the animals they share the environment with is the development of the areas by the Brazilian Govt itself.

I remember reading an article where they were suggesting the amount of species lost to us when they cleared the Jungle to create Brasilia- the numbers were mindblowing. Damminig of Rivers for Electricity will wipe out population after population.

With the chances that such fish will never come into NZ again we need to

ensure we get them breeding and develop captive bred stocks otherwise they will be lost to us. L046 was available at LFS here 12 yrs ago and was being bred here. Then someone dropped the ball.

Kinda makes you wonder why some people who claim to have bred fancy plecs only to feed out the fry would do such a thing.

Kinda makes you wonder why some people who claim to have bred fancy plecs only to feed out the fry would do such a thing.

I assume you are referring to me with that last little comment - and the answer is fairly simple - they were freely available at the time, and I wasn't interested in gearing up to breed plecs, especially when the vast majority of fish keepers did and still do grizzle about having to actually pay a reasonable price for captive bred stock. That situation might change now that wild caught fish aren't available - hopefully people who want the plecs will actually be willing to pay the costs of maintaining breeding programmes by paying the breeders a reasonable price for their stock and efforts. Maybe you should contact the guy I sold the parents to and see how his efforts are going (he is reasonably successful with his plec breeding efforts), or else stop whinging and get on with breeding some yourself, if you can. :wink:

Settle boys n girls :x

The whole point of this thread should not turn into a slinging contest, who cares who did what and when.

We (all of us not just those involved in the FNZAS breeding scheme) need to identify what fancy Plecos we have, are breeding sucessfully, sexes etc.

If this is a closed shop now, this will be our only shot and securing these very cool fish's future in NZ.

So "can it" unless you have something constructive to say :evil:

I am going to start a thread so we can have a census on fancy plecs.

contribute if you want

Ok It would appear that Brazil is shutting down export of fancy plecs, lets do a quick census to determine what we have.

Keep it simple we don't need a full life history

Common name:

Scientific Name:

L number

Male #'s

Female #'s

Successfully bred Y/N

But the thing is it isn't the live fish trade that is the reason for the reduction in numbers, its land clearing and development of the land. The live animal trade really only becomes a problem when the effects of all the other cause has reduced the numbers to only a small % of what they where. So now the local can't make any $ from fish they'll go and cut the forest down. Samel thing with parrots in coastal region, there’s no forest left for them to live in let alone be caught for the live trade.

Maybe the list of peoples plecs could be split into another thread on the same catfish topic thread? Better idea? That way, there can be a discussion on the brazil banning on this one, and other for individuals listed species??

Have started another thread for the listing of peoples collection of plecs, called Individuals Plec Collections...

And have pasted peoples lists in there, if they would like to post their lists again, then go for it and then let me know and I will delete the posts I have made with their info.