Do I need to use water ager?

tinytawnykitten

I use water ager religiously for every water change but I want to do a water change and have run out of water ager and won't be able get out to buy some until Friday. Is it completely necessary? I am guessing it is but I thought I would check.

I would let the water sand in buckets a few hours before using it ! we never put tap water straight into the tank :roll:

A very good question, I used to spend a fortune on it, but am starting to use it less and less.

In my 200l ancistrus breeding tank i am doing 20l changes daily without any ager, Im not noticing any difference...but then again I dont have gills.

Many people dont use ager.

I was doing a job for the Hamilton water treatment station the other day and asked one of teh techs what the chlorine rates were, he said 18ppm.

Anyone know how good/bad that is for our feeshes

I don't use it and haven't used it for ages, I only used it on my discus tank it was a PITA to use when I did water changes straight from the tap.. I have never had a problem. I always top up the (this is going to sound bad) more disposable fish tank first just in case there is an excess chlorine problem or something random going on but have never seen it.

I do have dechrolinator on hand just in case, and I would recommend the stuff I have it goes a long way and costs stuff all.

Wellington/Lower Hutt is on unchlorinated anyway I think? Only Upper Hutt and Porirua etc get the chlorinated stuff?

But anyway, I only use water ager when changing more than 20-30% of the water. Not using water ager on 50% changes (for example) usually results in a nitrite spike over the next couple of days.

For everyday water changes I never waste my water ager. Keep it for big changes only.

Personally I dont use it, but it really depends on your local water supply.

I dont think any of the local councils in NZ use Chloramine as a water treatment, and by world standards our water is pretty good to begin with.

The local water is generally only chlorinated, so the old school way of spraying it into the bucket with lots of splashing or letting it sit for a while will dissapate plain chlorine. If the original water source is suspect, then chlorine may form low levels of chloramine in the water and you should use water conditioner. Likewise take care in bad weather or any time the council is working on the water system, extra chlorine may be added to make dirty water safe to drink. If it smells funky coming out of the tap, dont use it.

I live in Stratford, and although our water technically doesn't make the drinking water grade due to the filters not straining out ALL the floaty bits, the water is generally very clean and I have done 90% water changes without loosing any fish.

Water conditioner will never cause any harm, but for most people in NZ it doesn't seem to be vital.

Ian

I only use it if I can smell chlorine in the water - and that hardly even happens. I use water straight from the tap and if I can smell chlorine I tip in some dechlorinator. I haven't had any fish losses that I could put down to that.

Jude

Just let the buckets stand iver night. Chlorine is a gas in solution and it will disperse out by itself,agitating the water will make this happen faster. If you have chlorimine you will need "ager"? , neutralizer. This is not often added to the water supply . I only worry about it if there has been works in the area.

Chlorine is a strong oxidizing agent which reacts with nitrogen compounds in the water to form monochloramine which reacts with more chlorine to form dichloramine which reacts with more chlorine to form trichloramine. When this happens it is then possible to have "free available chlorine." As the chlorine disperses or is used up by other contaminants (like people urinating in a swimming pool, fish in an aquarium or aeration to remove chlorine) the equation moves back towards the monochloramine. The creation of chloramines (and other chlorine compounds) is called the chlorine demand. When you swim in a chlorinated pool and your eyes sting it is not too much chlorine, it is not enough and the equation has moved back towards the monochloramine. Any water supply which is chlorinated will contain chloramines. Monochloramine is added to water supplies in the United states as a disinfectant rather than chlorine to avoid the creation of some of the other chlorine compounds. It is a disinfectant (not as good as chlorine) and as such cannot be doing your fish any good. If you wish your fish to swim in disinfectant that is your choice but if monochloramine makes your eyes sore in a swimming pool I would suggest that your fish would prefer not to be swimming in it. In my view any chlorinated water should be treated to remove chlorine and chloramines.

I do a 25% weekly water change (straight from the tap) on all my tanks without any probs and within 24 hours my Discus usually spawn ( and eat :evil: ) also never had any probs with any of my other fish.