water changes

K R Brown

Some people keep large overstocked tanks on a continuous flow system that changes XX% of the water daily, so yeah you could do one bucket per day instead of one big change. It may make doing a thorough gravel syphon a bit more difficult tho.

thats not over stocked

you are fine iwth your weeklies

maybe every 3 weeks or 4 weeks, do a gravel syphon.

one bucket aday i would assume would be more of a pain in the arse than a weekly water change

how do you change the water?

not gravel shyphoning i mean just the water?

what i do is i buy a hose, any hose, stick it in the tank, and suck the other end, when the desired level is reached, i plug hose into tap, turn on, whalaa!

leave al ittle hose sized holeon top of the tank. so you dont hvae the more around the lights and stuff

i have 6 tanks, 4 of which are large, 2 are small

i can change the water 25 to 30% and it takes less than 30 minutes to do all of them:D

you just work out a system to change water fast

Your tank is overfiltered and not that heavily stocked measure your nitrates you could get away with 2 weekly water changes or more :)

Small daily water changes are nice for the fish but as Ira pointed out not as good as 1 larger one, just change 25% daily and watch your fish grow like weeds!

ryanjury wrote:

just change 25% daily and watch your fish grow like weeds!

I know you are saying it so my question might be a little silly :oops: ...but isn't that too much or is it ok because of the size of his tank and 25% wouldn't be that much for a tank that size???

Caper

25% water change is the same no matter how big your tank is? lol If you do more water changes then you can remove more crap and the fish will grow faster.. That (and the fact that they are very very sensitive to crap in the water and can be stunded easily) is why discus keepers do upto 90% water changes daily..

25% water change is the same no matter how big your tank is? lol If you do more water changes then you can remove more crap and the fish will grow faster.. That (and the fact that they are very very sensitive to crap in the water and can be stunded easily) is why discus keepers do upto 90% water changes daily..

And the larger and more often the water changes the less of a change in conditions during each change. 90% daily the water in the tank before the change is going to be almost the same as the new water.:)

230 litre

fluval 204 with internal 1000lph filter

currently 6 electric yellows

10 demasoni

2 pictus cats

1 gba

want to add 2 red shoulder peacocks to mix soon to

i have a 200L with stocking as in my sig below, do 30% water changes once a week (ocassionally two weekly) & have 2100 LPH filtration. I have never had water quality problems with my africans. :)

i have a 600l with my jardinii and 2 silver dollars, 1 flagtail and 2 tinfoils and 1 angelicus syno

i feed my jardinii plenty, i want it at 60cm you see:D its currently at 35cms or so.

so i over feed it - i change the water, 30-40% weekly, sometimes twice weekly if i get bored and want to procastinate doing actualy paperwork and work i should be doing:D

see, who ever said procastinating is bad??:D