Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tap thing for water changes

Featured Replies

HI All i have asked this question before but i lost the details ,sorry. I seem to remember there being a fitting you can out on your taps to help with water changes ,i think they are on trademe ,can anyone point me in the right direction as i have done a search and nothing had come up .I think a Christchruch trader has them.I have just spent the day doing 50% water changes on two 350 litre tanks ,PHEW Had a problem with ammonia ,even after testing my test results were wrong ,have no idea why at this stage . :lol:

I got one of these, mine is a different colour - it's great. My father saw it and gave me an old one of a washing machine from forty years ago or so - he calls it a filler drainer. Exactly the same thing but made of copper or some metal.

I hope it works out well for you.

  • Author

Thanks so much , i hate the thought of lugging buckets around the place.i think i carried about 25 buckets today !!!!Have to do it again tomorrow ,but it might have to wait till i get the tap. :lol:

Has anyone else tried them?Have you Hans?

No way i spending that sort of money on that. I got a 2 way tap thingee for $5 and it works fine(not that i even use it)

I have moved a outside tap closer to my room(fish room) so i just siphon and fill in super quick time. Dont have to leave the room at all

Has anyone else tried them?Have you Hans?
i got a python its great our taps are old skool so i connect to an outside tap rather than a sink the to fill up i take the tap fitting off and jam one of the those plastic shower hose thingeys intop it and connect it to both hot and cold taps adjust the temperature and watch it fill up in a few mins , no buckets!!

It is a venturi that sucks the water from your tank into the kitchen sink. I spoke to a retired Health Inspector who said it would be better to siphon the water onto the garden. They fit onto a fawcet so you can blend the hot and cold to get replacement water at about the same temperature as the water that came out. That is very useful. I had one but replaced it with a connection made of metal as the fine thread connector to the tap did not last. The supplier has metal adapters now that will overcome that problem.

I use one of them on my tank inside. I don't bother when syphoning out, just run it into the garden. Find it brilliant though when filling up the tank. Use a thermometer to get the water to the right temp, attach the hose, put a couple of squirts of water conditioner into the tank and away I go. It sure beats lugging 20 buckets of water through the house.

I have a...shoot...can't think of the name off hand Aqua something :oops: :-? and it looks like the green one in the pic just that mine is black.

I love them (have 2) it has made water changes soooooooo much easier.

Caper

I have one but I rarely use it as it is too far from my tap to the tank and the height difference makes it very slow. We also have low water pressure. I can't use it for siphoning water out as it isn't a strong enough current to lift the crud off the substrate. To refill the tank takes ages too and I tend to forget it. So take into account your water pressure, the distance between your tap and tank, and the height of both.

I just put the gravel syphon out the window, and use the garden hose to top it up. Sometimes I'll add hot water with the cold to minimise the temperature difference, but usually only on cold days.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.