Fmxmatt's Upgrade

Fmxmatt

Well one of the reasons for the upgrade is for the benefit of my Tangs. To be honest theres no where near enough room with the rocks in my current tank, so I want to make the new tank a wee bit like a racetrack, so rocks will be smack bang in the centre of the tank so they can race round and round all they want :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure

Currently have:

Red Firefish

Purple Firefish

Blue Hippo Tang

Sailfin Tang

Yellow Tang

2x Clownfish

Large Brittlestar

2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Tons of Turbo Snails

I had a 6line Wrasse and 2x Seahares in there too, but it appears there may have been a suicide pact between them as 1 of the seahares stuck his head in a nanostream, and the Wrasse appeared to have stuck its head inside one of the Hydor Flos (guts was in there). The 2nd of the 2 seahares just disappeared :(

And yes I am somewhat concerned about the firefish in the new tank. I'm hoping that the new lights that i'm building will be enough to cover the opening in the tank. It also has eurobracing which hopefully will help too. We all know they're little jumpers!

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is now at home (yay!). Pretty heavy! Big thanks to Tim for his help shifting, ontop of all the work he's done!

A few pics taken in a rush this morning. If anyone wants to see something in more detail let me know and I'll take a specific photo :)

DSC02009Small.jpg

DSC02011Small.jpg

DSC02012Small.jpg

DSC02015Small-1.jpg

DSC02019Small.jpg

Sorry, some of the pics are average, only had a few mins to take em before I had to leave for work :)

So after the small hiccup of the overflow leak, tank is being refilled now.

Without sounding too eager, I'd quite like to get some liverock in there by tomorrow night. Can anyone see any issues with the following?

Fill tank, check plumbing and work out the max and min on the sump, make sure theres no water being sucked back through once pump off etc etc.

Mix salt in, once mixed add coral sand (new not old) Bring temp up to 26 overnight, add more salt tomorrow if required. Once SG @ 1.025 @ 26deg, add 2 or 3 liverocks from old tank.

Monday Night - Check NH4, NO2, NO3 & other important params, if in check look at adding corals & more liverock? If not leave and retest Tues night? (adding CAL or KH etc if required)

If the plan works well, any reason why I couldn't have everything transferred over by next weekend? From what I can work out it shouldn't be a problem, but just want to make sure I haven't missed something important?

Oh and 3 more questions

With no livestock in the tank, am I safe leaving the skimmer on the old tank until I start transferring fish, or should I have it running on the new tank for a couple of days to pick up any crap that may be floating in the water?

2nd is in regards to heater redundancy. Currently theres 1x 300w heater in each tank. If I put 2x 300w heaters into the new tank, will there be any issue if they are sitting right next to each other practically touching each other? Running on a heater controller of course

3rd is about cooling. I've had a good run with PC fans ontop of my old tank. I wouldn't mind looking at something similar for the new tank until I can afford a chiller (if it ever comes to that). Would the fans be required to be ontop of the main display, or would they be effective enough running ontop of the sump?

Cheers

Assuming you are transferring all your stock from your old tank, why don't you do your freshwater leak tests then drop the water level in the display so that you can transfer the water from your old tank with the stock.

This will make it a lot less of a shock for all concerned. You could use a good 3/4 of the water from your old tank (syphoned out clean) and use the remaining to shake the crap out of your rocks and catch the fish in. This way the water conditions won't be massively different and you can just drop the fish in.

With no livestock in the tank, am I safe leaving the skimmer on the old tank until I start transferring fish, or should I have it running on the new tank for a couple of days to pick up any crap that may be floating in the water?

Best to take the skimmer off the old tank and start skimming on the new tank. The old tank will do fine without it. just make sure you have pumps still in the old tank to move the water around.

2nd is in regards to heater redundancy. Currently theres 1x 300w heater in each tank. If I put 2x 300w heaters into the new tank, will there be any issue if they are sitting right next to each other practically touching each other? Running on a heater controller of course

They will be ok.

3rd is about cooling. I've had a good run with PC fans ontop of my old tank. I wouldn't mind looking at something similar for the new tank until I can afford a chiller (if it ever comes to that). Would the fans be required to be ontop of the main display, or would they be effective enough running ontop of the sump?

What are you trying to chill, its is winter :D