Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coldwater catfish???

Featured Replies

I was looking at the goldfish tank tonight and decided that what they really needed was some catfish in there too...or something that browses the bottom scavenging.... any ideas anybody?? What's the coldest catfish?? Maybe I could heat the tank to 16 deg approx which is suitable for a 'coldwater' variety???

All wacky ideas gratefully received... :lol:

Richard

Goldfish do a pretty good job of 'roiling' by themselves ! They are always grubbing around the bottom looking for any missed food items. There wouldn't be a lot left over for catfish to feed on.

As for algae eaters, I have had bristle nose go as low as 11*C and survive during the infamous power strikes here, but they were not real happy about it.

I have just had a massive outbreak of bristle nose spawns at 20*C these last few weeks, and I have even had them spawn at 18*C. I don't know that I would like to take them much lower though.

Pepper cats ( Corydoras paliatus) will winter quite well outdoors here, and some colour forms of C aeneus are cold water fish (by our standards) tho the ponds rarely get below 10*C

Alan

you can put catfish in your tanks but wait until summer! its just to much of a shock on them if you do it now .

i have bristle nose breeding in my goldfish tanks at work so they are a good one to get but wait until its warmer or they could/would die.

corys do well in coldwater as well oh and borneo suckers.

I was going to suggest Corydas bartatus. Then did a double take ! :-? In a goldfish tank ???? They are definately cold water cories, so much so that I have never been able to keep them through a Qld Summer. But they sell for around AU$50 ea..

Not the sort of fish you would put in a gold fish bowl.... :roll:

Alan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.