Raising Cardinal Tetra Fry

Dixon1990

I have a 20L tank with a thin layer on sand and a clump of java moss in the middle. I plan on Putting a sponge filter in it and some peat. And try to spawn some cardinal tetras. I have a small group of 6 at the moment,at a good size.

Im going to try get a ph around 6.

The main thing i need to know is what kind of food would be best for the different sizes? I want to get a good stock of livefood etc before i try this.

And how long will it take with good feeding for them to be able to eat crushed frozen bloodworms?And how long until the fry can have light?

Please i dont need and i dont want any 'try something easier first' comments as that was all i got last time.So please dont.

Im really only wanting to breed enough to geta nice we school for a 4foot tank.

if the silver dollars were anything to go by, they can start to be uncovered and have light when they start free swimming and have absorbed their egg sac.

Green water will be definetly your best first food for them imo

variety is best and a bit of trial and error. have a bit of micro worms, infusoria/green water and maybe a bottle of "liquifry" available. see what the fry respond best to. if they dont like it you can try something else.

There are people in Christchurch I know who have bred them also but they are not likely to share any info. All I know is that they are more difficult and a lot less productive than neons.

Well at this stage im mainly only concerened in getting a larger school for my 4 foot tank. So im only going to need 15-30.I dont really mind, but i will try my best.

Good on you Dixon!! Great to see this..... in fact i have tried to breed cardinals myself and i was inspired by the article that Bryan wrote (tell him if you see him Caryl!...actually i'd like to ask him a few more questions eg does he put the males into the breeding tank first??..I think it doesn't matter). Anyway i had no luck but i think the main problem was my breeding stock was too old. He mentions use fresh young ones. I'd love to have a 500 strong school of cardinals hehe

PS when i tried i just used standard boiled peat 2cm thick on the bottom

Thanks, Ive only successfully bred black widows,bettas and livebearers(they dont really count).

So i dont expect to get many,if any fry the first time.

But I Will put as much effort as possible to try and breed some for my community tank and others.

Where is the best place to get peat.

Bryan stopped breeding cardinals prob around 2 years ago.

He used to say that the hardest part was feeding the fry - once they are feeding on brine shrimp then you get the best results.

Use SFBB brine shrimp or smaller if you can find it. I can't remember what the first food was, but I imagine it was green water / infusoria