Feeding frogs

I catc heaps of flies like this....

I went to the Warehouse and bought a butterfly net from the fishing section.

Me and a mate go for a drive to a local fishing spot that requires driving across a farm track for a few kilometres.

Drive at about jogging speed.(max speed on this road without bottoming the car out) with the net out the window, skimming it just above the grass.

within minutes i have literally a hundred or so flies/moths etc.I find i catch more when the cows are present.

if the car is kept at a constand speed, the force of the air moving into net prevents them flying out again.

once i have sufficient amount i quick twist net and use a bread tag to stop them escaping.

The bonus with the flies i catch this way is that they not your standard house fly and are quite docile and easy to catch if the get out in the car.

Works for me, so maybe worth trying.

I find I can make new cultures of fruitflies from my biosuppliers cultures, if I feed the culture a piece of banana every so often. You just make it small enough to go in the container, it liquidises pretty quick on its own! My frog is a whistling treefrog so he is quite happy on these little flies, if its a bell frog of one sort of the other it would probably want bigger game

• 6 months later...

you could try a small piece of mince on the end of a very thin piece of stick, or a dried flower stalk or strong thin piece of grass stem. anyway stick the piece of low fat meat on the end of your "fishing pole" and wiggle it in the tank not too close to the frogs nose.

huhu grubs are the best food ive found so far, fed using fishing pole method. one big grub can last a frog a month in summer.