BEST SPONGE FILTER?

Charlie

The ones in Luke's post are what I use and recommend. Haven't seen them in stores, I just make use of when our club does bulk buys. They're great because they're weighted, so no stupid suction cups!

If I need one in a hurry I just get the $8 ones from LFS, but they're not as good as those. Can't remember the brand they're just labeled SPONGE FILTER.

Be careful with using a corner filter, as the fish can swim in, and when you remove it you take some wtih you.

I still have about a dozen of the sponge filters Luke mentioned left over from setting up my fish room. I bought twice as many as I needed expecting to have to swap them out to clean them every couple of weeks but since they're so efficient I've hardly even had to squeeze them clean in over 6 months. Ask anyone that's visited my fish room, they keep the water crystal clear and everything breeds like crazy with no losses due to filtration. How many are you after?

ohh, i need some blue&kim!

How much are you selling them for?

I have the long type ones, and 1 of those round grey ones, the ones luke discribed are by far the best! So I want to replace all mine with the grey ones now!

I need about 5 smaller ones and 1 of the big ones.

If you use a sponge filter do you need any other sort of filtration?

Nope (provided the sponge filter is powerful enough to do the size of the tank). I use to grow out discus with 2 of the above sponge filters in a 3 foot tank but that was overkill...just wanted good circulation and filtration

Hi Ducati,

I could be completely off-target with this (I'm a fnzas newb) but the benefits of a canister filter are:

They are out of sight.

Can more often than not maintain a larger aquarium than other filters.

You have a lot of control as to how you want the filter to work/what you want it to do etc with the different things you put in the canister. (Chemical, Physical & Biological).