Platy breeding Question

Lucid

I have a couple of platys who can't be too far away from giving birth, would it harm them or the unborn young in anyway if i moved them to another tank that I couldn't gaurentee similar conditions in, and the tank is also smaller.

i have a tank with two males and four females in and was hoping to move the pregger platys to lessen the number of fatalities due to hungry parents.

Will this work?

Cheers

It might but if the females are close to birth shifting them will cause them to abort. Better to leave this lot and make sure conditions in the 2nd tank are ready next time the females are ready to drop. Make sure you have plenty of fine leaved plants in the tank and quite a few may survive. java moss is excellent for this.

Test the water in the other tank and if it is similar, move the males and leave the females where they are - easier.

• 3 weeks later...

if you move her she will/could lose the babys, you could slip her into a fry net do it in such a way that you are not moving her, its easy just feed her and put the net under her, (only works with a few fish)

also you could put lots of plants in the tank :) or wait she will breed again really soon