windows 95

wilson

The problem is that any machine that runs Vista "OK" will run XP fantastically.

It converts the latest model CoreDuo PC with 2gb of ram into a PC that seems to run as well as my lean mean 4 year old P4 with 700mb of ram.

Yes it's pretty, but fluff doesn't actually make a PC faster or more stable, and Microsoft and Secure are not compatible.

Yes we are going to be running Vista one day.. but for me it will be service pack 2, or Linux.

Ian

If you use vista every day, and office every day, you sort through bunches of quotes that are output in .pdf format with some useless meaningless file name, you start to love vista.

Hum, pretty icon of a .pdf file.

I know, i'll zoom in on the my documents window. Oh look, vista now shows me the first page of all of those pdfs.

Much easier :)

Ask any student who is doing chemistry about how much they hate the MS equation editor that is buried under 4 layers of menus, or would they rather click on insert, the ribbon changes, they select equation editor.. Oh lookkkkie.

Insert a table.

Instant colours, shading, borders, with a simple dropdown box

XP display driver crash - Oh look, windows bluescreens, all data is lost

vista display driver crash - Oh look, pretty window tells me that the display driver has broken, and vista is off looking for a new one.

Windows slugsearch on xp anyone?

Vista indexing service. wow, amongst my 1000+ emails it found my password for somethingawful.com forums INSTANTLY.

XML file extensions - Get over it, smaller, can open the document in a web page if you wish... People complain that the .doc filesizes are too big, they get changed.. go cry a river or two.

User account control - Annoying as all hell, agreed.

Bottom line:

If you are using the machine for home use, basic internet browsing, odd word doccument or two as a letter to some family/friends, sure, stick with XP/office 2003.

If you are using the machine for BUSINESS use, you use more advanced functions, you are insane not to go to vista now, especially after sp1 has fixed a few of the more interesting issues. (slow file transfers)

________

Anyone who complains about vista being bad has NO IDEA about how shocking XP was when it first came out....

As for using windows 95 over vista.. Huh, do you like searching for drivers when you plug in a usb stick?

User account control - Annoying as all hell, agreed.

At least theres an "off" option for this :)

Anyone who complains about vista being bad has NO IDEA about how shocking XP was when it first came out....

As for using windows 95 over vista.. Huh, do you like searching for drivers when you plug in a usb stick?

XP had its moments, but it wasn't as resource hungry as vista is. I can see vista being pretty good in the future, but trying to run it on anything less than a high spec Core 2 Duo with tons of ram makes it seem painfully slow.

Sony lost alot of business with their last run of Vaio's because they switched to Vista. People refused to buy them until drivers were discovered to be able to downgrade the unit to XP (which for most people would be more $$ ontop of an already expensive laptop).

It comes down to change though, people dont like change. Not long after XP came out I went and did A+/N+ and MCP/MCSE with XP, but still ran Windows 98 for ages afterwoulds because I hated XP. Tides have turned and now people dont want to let go of XP, but it'll happen :)

I tell anyone who asks that everything is going the way of Vista, so dont be afraid of getting it now despite all the bad things you may have heard as eventually you aren't going to have a choice :)

i like vista

i never realy got used to xp i olny had it for a year before i got my laptop with vista

one bad thing with vista is that it dosnt like other OS every time i try to put ubuntu on it crashes and it needs to be re installed :evil:

I'll confess I haven't really spent much time using vista, and I probably have a grumpy-old-man attitude towards it. The thing that really annoyed me is that they had changed certain things that didn't need to be changed, its not better or worse, just different for no reason. Imagine if every time they brought out a new car they put the clutch/brake/accelerator in a different order. Since the 1960's nearly every aspect of the automobile has been improved numerous times, yet the basic controls are still the same, clutch/brake/accelerator, steering wheel, H-pattern gear selection (or automatic) etc. You don't have to completely learn how to drive every time you get in a different car, I wish you could say the same thing for microsoft operating systems.

Well you all obviously do a lot more with your computers than I do cos the only difference I have ever noticed as the OSs were updated was the icons changed and the location of a few things moved :-?

Having said that, I still have XP on this machine. Grant runs Vista so he has it to refer to when customers ring with Vista queries or problems.

We have found another 3 Win95s and a Publisher 97 if anyone is interested :lol: