Employment Relations

danilada

Help!

I have been employed at a job for eight months now, in the time I have never recieved a contract, infact for the first two months I asked every day for one, and there was always excuses about why I haven't got it yet, now my understanding is, that this is illegal.

I have been on the Department of Labours website but not really to savvy with what they say.

The other question I have, is, if you take one day sick leave, you dont intend on being paid, do you still have to have proof that you were sick, i.e doctors cert?

Please help me out!

In short, yes, it is illegal - but they bear the brunt of any action, not you, and no, you are not required to produce a doctors certificate for absence less than three days, and even then if they demand one they have to pay for the doctors visit :D

Thanks.

I know they get in any trouble about having no contract, but what about me, if they expect me to do some-thing unusual, because I dont have a set "contract" do I have to do any "extra" that they say.

ex, drive 20 minutes on MY petrol using MY car to get THERE mail?

If you went to work on Tuesday the short answer is no. You might like to point out to them that even though they haven't supplied you with a written contract, despite your requests for one, you are both still bound by the applicable labour laws.

...if they expect me to do some-thing unusual, because I dont have a set "contract" do I have to do any "extra" that they say.

ex, drive 20 minutes on MY petrol using MY car to get THERE mail?

Most contracts contain a clause like 'any other reasonable task as required'. What reasonable is depends upon what your job is. If you are employed as an accountant then 'reasonable' might include opening the mail when the receptionist is away because it is directly related to your normal job, but 'reasonable' wouldn't include unblocking the toilet - they'd have to call a plumber.

In your situation driving to get the mail may well be reasonable, but never at your expense. If you are driving your car then they a liable for

a) your time

b) 60 cents (minimum) per kilometre or part thereof travelled

c) any cost in your car insurance premiums to cover COMMERCIAL USAGE - because that is what you are engaging in and if you have a prang you are not covered under a normal 'private passenger' policy.

Ok, they are requiring me to get the mail from the P.O.Box every morning (I am the administrator) but that was never asked of me before, I will be asking for compensation if they require that in the future, thanks heaps, was making sure I am in my rights, before I blow my job or some-thing.

Most contracts contain a clause like 'any other reasonable task as required'. What reasonable is depends upon what your job is. If you are employed as an accountant then 'reasonable' might include opening the mail when the receptionist is away because it is directly related to your normal job, but 'reasonable' wouldn't include unblocking the toilet - they'd have to call a plumber.

All the contracts I've seen said, "Other tasks as required." Which according to the letter means they can basically make you do anything you want.

No they can't - anything still has to be both legal and reasonable. You can't contract out of a statutory requirement, so even if both you and your employer agreed that it meant that they could make you do anything, it would still be illegal and unenforcable.

Danilada

If in doupt phone the Dpt of Labour up as that way you can get the answers to your questions and where you have doupt, you can ask again.

I often phone them to clearify thing to make sure that what Im doing is correct.

Remember that 90% of employers realise that the main asset is their staff however most employees think that their employer is their worst enemy.

Good luck

Danilada

If in doupt phone the Dpt of Labour up as that way you can get the answers to your questions and where you have doupt, you can ask again.

I often phone them to clearify thing to make sure that what Im doing is correct.

Remember that 90% of employers realise that the main asset is their staff however most employees think that their employer is their worst enemy.

Good luck

See, there are good ones out there... you just have to look :wink: