Plant flower photo

cees

I assume you want our photos of aquatic plants in general and not just flowers? It certainly adds to the plant survey.

Nope,

Original photos of plants in flower in New Zealand. Provide date/location/owner.

1) helps with identification of what's really in this country

2) as a challenge

In the days when I was still more active with the UHAS we played with the idea of a plant growing registration similar to the fish breeding registration. Points awarded for propagating plants. Flowers would score a good bonus point. I'm not sure if it ever got of the ground though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cees said...

> One of his crypts produced a flower and we took a picture.

Mmm... you've got to love aroids. Most of the big scary ones

I grow are not aquatic unfortunately. I have flowered a couple

of Crypts in the past but don't currently have any. However,

I intend to get back into them once I get settled into the new

house.

Andrew.

Andrew, let me know if you want some crypts. I'm sure I can spare one or two plants of a few species to get you started again. It pays to spread them around, you never know when you may lose a species. Fish are hard enough, it's even harder to track down some of the rarer plants at times.

Derek said...

> ... let me know if you want some crypts. I'm sure I can spare

> one or two plants of a few species to get you started again.

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to be in touch once I've got things

sorted out. Probably wont be until closer to the end of the

year...

Andrew.

Cool Pics.

I'd like to keep this plant myself, but there doesn't seem to be any in NZ. I've been waiting about 4 years for someone to import the plant but ...

Have put my name down on the list for the plant at many fish shops in the country. Never had a reply - ever. Doesn't anyone want to sell it?

Does anyone else know where to get this plant in NZ? Too hard to import some myself (and cost too much - don't want some that much!) especially once MAF gets in the way with quarantine regs.

As Pegasus says, spill the beans, - how did you do it?

Hi Bill,

The plant isn't on the restricted list, but no-one seems interested in bringing it in. Heaps of TFS's have promised to get the plant for me, but to date every single one has been a slacker.

I haven't checked the Aponogeton fenestralis, but the plant I've been after is the Aponogeton madagascariensis (could be the same plant).

I wish we had happy days in NZ. Maybe of TFS and importers suffer from small country syndrome??!!

Hi Warren,

Geez... I have to get some up to date books :oops:

Like I've mentioned many times, my books are pretty dated, and it does seem as though the plant has had a name change.

I haven't checked the Aponogeton fenestralis, but the plant I've been after is the Aponogeton madagascariensis (could be the same plant).

FYI Bill,

I have a book here called A Manual of Aquarium Plants by Shirley Aquatics Ltd. Monkspath, Shirley, Solihull, England. Copyrighted 21st Feb. 1964.

It describes Aponogeton fenestralis as "a fabulous lace leaf plant from Madagascar".

It lists 10 different Aponogetons but the Madagascariensis is not one of them so I think the chances of it being the same plant with a different name are quite high eh?

• 2 years later...

i got home tonight, did my usual look in the tank...

and here's a stem from my Aponogeton crispus shooting up towards the top of the tank!

it's another flower!

it first flowered about two months ago (maybe 6 week's)

but being too keen to see it grow every day, i missed out (and totally forgot) to take any pictures

these are only taken from my cellphone, so they're not the best quality.. but you can still kinda make it out :lol:

from top of the tank:

flowertop1.jpg

from the front:

flower2.jpg

the last flower grew about 12inches long, pure white and smelt lovely, it later grew 6 seed's from it which are still growing in my tank

only time will tell how much will come from this one!

will keep posted on progress of flowering etc

To fertilize the flower.

make a little floating ring and draw the flower back under the water.

This releases the pollen and it floats on the surface.

On releasing the flower, it is then covered by the released pollen.

You can cross other "heads" this way as well.

Alan 104

ahh thank's for that info alan, my tank's lid isnt very far from the top of the water, last time the flower kept growing under the water (kept getting longer) and i think that's how it polinated it's self. but i will try this also thistime around, would like to get a few more seed's from this one

would it help the flower/seeds grow more/larger if i threw a fertilizer tap into the roots of the crispus? i fert'd them about 10 or so days ago.. so it should have kicked in

but would another tap hurt the plant/tank?

oh and i use Sera: Florenette A (iron/minerals) and Flore plus (macro nutrients)