Tortoise fan

KathyC

that would be the only option left

you would then use the turtles that looked more like the cooter type to breed with

and so forth in the next generation with 5 to 6 years between each generation?

you are breeding siblings, so until another cooter surfaces your gene pool is limited, reptiles seem to handle inbreeding well for quite a few generations

was generally speaking about studies done on inbreeding of other reptiles in america, some dragons are on their 9th generation of inbreeding

i probably won't live to see the results, 3 generations of the mentioned crosses could take up to 24 years

unless like some monitors recorded they can breed through parthonogenisis, don't think it has been recorded in turtles though

Parthenogenesis means ... Repoduction without Fertilization... especially in Inverts and lower plant life.

Bill.

Is that like when hens lay eggs, but because they have no rooster, eggs go unfertilized?? Or have I got it completely wrong?? :roll:

Cheers,

George

Parthenogenesis is also seen naturally in several snake and monitor species and probably many more.

Really it is likely to have been going on for centuries without really being widely acknowledged.

Whether as an important role in evolution or as a means for a species to colonise an ecosystem is really still debated. Invertebrates ofcourse seem to have mastered the art rather well, particularly social arthropods where the very social structure is built by the different fertilised/unfertilised offspring.

None the less its now regularly utilised in the laboratory environment in almost all vertebrate species and in particular seen as a useful tool in maintaining genetically consistant reptilian populations. Artificially ofcourse.

Last year I had to try and locate a Tortoise for someone.... after a few days of dodgy calls and random emails I managed to find a Pet Store out South that was "connected" to a breeder, only to be told that I had no business looking for one and that the breeder would not want to talk to me as they apparently only delt with that certain pet store. I must have stirred up a real hornets nest as she slammed the phone down, not the customer service one would expect.

After that ordeal and chatting to other soruces, it does appear there is a secret organisation of "underground" Tortoise breeders....don't blame them I suppose knowing how much they are worth and such.

Unfortunitly I would have to say I would be quite wary if I had tortoises, I can't blame people for being very careful who they show or deal with, gone are the days when people just wanted to see reptiles, it seems almost all the people I know have been burned at some point when they have opened up what they have to the masses to see, its a shame its got like this.