Gouldian finches

Hey,

Gouldians aren't that rare, generally they're available if you know who to talk to. Many good pet stores carry them (Wet Pets in Palmerston North had some last time I looked). They NEED specific things though and are not just brightly coloured zebbies. Not a good choice unless you know what you're doing. They're expensive for a reason.

Andrew.

I agree with Andrew.

My wife and I keep many diferent types of birds in large avaries. We breed Zebbies, Bengalise and Java sparrows without any issue and also number of parrots and doves but keeping those Gouldians alive is tough. Last count we have lost 2 pairs and 2 individual birds (6 total) even though we follow all the rules including keeping them warm clean dry etc.

Good luck

What extra care do they need, also been thinking of getting some , been told that they need avairy and arnt cage birds.

Gouldians don't have down on them like other birds so feel the cold and draughts more, usually a nice sheltered and dry aviary is fine, i included a 40 watt light bulb in the night shelter of ours to allow them to feed of a night time and it was near a perch so they could snuggle up for warmth.

bred them and other exotic finches for 8 years, not too many problems.

i worked on the proviso that our night hours were longer than the tropics

so the birds had to burn all their energy on warmth not sustaining the body, so the light bulb was put in and seemed to work for me.

this is just my experience with them others may have other ways of keeping